One Blind Moor

selythe

I finally broke down and got a black moor with my others.. though with how he's acting, he might end up being a fish I keep inside even after the others go out to the pond this spring.

See, he's completely blind. I suspected he might have vision problems, but seeing him in the tank -- he swam about the bottom the first night I got him, bumped into things, but now he has the layout down.. and when he smells food in the tank, he busily starts pecking at random around the bottom of the gravel, knowing I have a mix that has some sinking pellets along with the floating bits.

How can I make sure he gets enough to eat? He's about an inch and a half long, and while the others don't bully him at feeding time, he seems to be a little wary of heading out into the big wide openness that is the middle of the tank for too long, always returning to either a wall or the floor as a guidepost of sorts.

I do not believe he is ill -- he is moving around well, and shows no discoloration (that I can tell) or gasping, his fins are intact, and I did a 70% water change just before settling him in with the others, who are all swimming around like their crazy, happy, four-inch-long selves.(and still growing of course.)

Again, the other fish will school with him, but not peck or chase him, and he bumbles around happy as a clam.

Any ideas on how I can feed him, or anything else to watch out for? No jagged rocks for him to catch on, and he can escape the filter pull when he's near it without any problems on that end.

I find that with my Moor's,that they have learned where the food falls and goes right to that spot.It seems almost as if they've gotten somewhat bolder because of their lack of sight.They're not bossy or mean,just firm and determined to eat.When Mambo smells the food,she just digs right in and goes after it,and "Shame on you" if you happen to be in her way. :)

I think as he grows,he'll learn to do this behavior too.Until then,try feeding him in the area that he's sitting,while throwing the other's food in their normal tank spot.He might not get enough time to eat all of it before the others spot the food,but he'll get some,and that's a good start. :)

Repeating this daily will show you just how smart he is as he remembers. ;)

He does seem to remember locations quickly -- he's young, but seems completely blind.

How do I start accustoming him to hand-feeding? Does this mean holding him in my hand or simply sticking my hand into the tank to present the food in front of him?

And I will try dropping his food in the same spot every day -- the others generally take five to ten minutes to find and eat everything, as instead of a few huge pellets I give a lot of small ones.

Yes I overfeed slightly but I clean the tank and so far, so good on avoiding SBD and the like.

The way I always start with training a fish is by handfeeding it frozen Bloodworms.May sound gross to some of you,but I'm telling you that it works like a charm. :exactly My Moors adore them too. I just take a frozen cube and reach down in the water close to the fish,and gently swirl it around so that the cube starts loosening up..Once they smell it,they start frantically searching around.Normally they might be spooked the first couple of times,but that doesn't usually last as fish find Bloodworms to be much too tempting.It may even work faster for your little Moor being that he can't see you.Does his eyes look normal by the way?No cloudiness ,blood,etc?

I'm incredibly allergic to bloodworms -- I only figured that out after reading this forum, and then connecting why my eyes itched furiously after every time I fed dried bloodworms.. even the frozen ones do to an extent if I touch them, or anything that has touched them previously.. my eyes itch. If I scratch them then the itching becomes indescribable. Given I react extremely to mosquito bites, I'm suspecting it's a family related allergy..

Though I do feed frozen krill drops and frozen beefheart... I'm thinking the beefheart goes over almost as well with my goldfish as with my previous bettas, so I can try your method with that?

Looking straight into his eyes seems to show his eyes as the same color as his scales -- matte black over copper. I can't see any blood, though I may not recognize it if I did.

Looking from above, my view of him is blurry, but it appears the hemisphere/lens over each eye is clear, not cloudy and nothing in it.. though I can only catch glimpses, since he rarely turns his head enough to the side to get a clear look.

You can try anything that you find that your goldies love.I just picked those because they're everyones favorite.NP though using something else.

If there were blood in his eye,you'd be able to tell for sure.The eyes sound pretty clear,and that's a good thing.So,let the training begin. :D

Archived