My Goldfish Is Sitting At The Bottom, What Should I Do?

Guest Brains!

Guest Brains!

I'm sixteen, and I'm sort of getting re-used to the goldfish world. I've had fish since I was three, my dad loved them. But when I moved from my first house the tropical fish didn't last long. When I was three and a half I got two goldfish which I named Jack and Jill from the nursery rhyme. When I was five they died long before then and I got tropical fish yet again. They lasted until I was about twelve. =)

I've had betas and of course goldfish until now.

Okay enough of my background I need help.

I got a fancy goldfish for V. Day my boyfriend was very nice and bought me one. He, or I think he's a he but I can't really tell... anyway he had "floater's desiese" or somthing like that and was lying on his side. I go to boarding school and my mom took care of him while I'm away. She fed him rice and some oat meal and bought him pellet food to keep him from sucking up oxygen from the surface, he's better now but he was lying on the bottom about fifteen minutes ago until I came to this site to make this thread. I don't know how long he's been lying there but I fed him and he just sat there. I tapped on the tank and he swam around and lay down again. I turned off the l light sat on my bed and he started to get active.

But as I started to type all this up he's circling around and acting like a goldfish, confused and hungry. I'm glad he's swimming but is there somthing wrong with him?

I read that fancies swim near the middle of the tank, but he's swimming close to the bottom not too close to the gravel and he's swimming up mid way. The water is about 70-72 degrees.

Is he okay, or should I be worried. I don't want him/her to get sick because he means a lot to me.

Hello and welcome to Koko's.

We would love to help you and your goldfish but we need some more information please. At the top of this page there are several questions that we need answered. Some of them you already have but we really need to know as many of the answers as you can tell us.

In the meantime, do not feed your fish anymore rice or oatmeal as these are not suitable for fish. Stick with the pellets.

Thanks! :)

Guest Brains!

I don't feed him rice anymore since he's better. ^-^

I don't know the

Ammonia Level

Nitrite Level

Nitrate level

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)

Ph Level out of the Tap

Like I said I'm getting re-used to having a goldfish and I don't know how to test and such. Which isn't that smart if I want him to stay healthy.

Tank size: about five gallons and How long has it been running: About a week.

What is the name and size of the filter/s: I'll ask my dad who's asleep right now. U.I

How often do you change the water and how much?: not too often as I just got back from school.

How many fish in the tank and their size: Just my fancy tail, I want another one though. ^-^

Any medications added to the tank? : nope.

Add any new fish to the tank? : nope.

What do you feed your fish?: I feed Brains! pellets now.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", : Nope.

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? : Nope

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom: Yes, but now he's swimming.

Most local pet stores will test your water for free. If at all possible, bring in a sample of your water and write down the numbers for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates (pH if available).

Do you know what size your tank is? How about any filter information?

Guest Brains!

I've begged my dad to take me to the pet store to get an aration thing to keep Brains! happy again. He insists we have one an old one in the basement. I looked we didn't have it, plus if I do remember that thing get so gross I wouldn't touch it anymore. Mom probably threw it out which means it's the pet store for me and daddy. ^-^ I always liked looking at the fish and the bunnies.

Is there a water testing kit you can buy? I know there are some for pools but that's different.

Yes you need to get a master kit that has individual tests for PH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Depending on what store you go to, often if it is a chain you can go online and print the add to take with you. (for it is usually cheaper online and they'll match it).

It is wonderful you are wanting to do what is best for the fish. GF need extremely good water quality to survive and be healthy. I can however tell you they need at least 10 gallons of water each to live healthily. So you are a bit overstocked with only a 5 gal tank.

Does it have a filter on it? If so you will need to learn how to make sure the biological cycle works. You can look that up here on the site.

Good luck, changing the water is important, but you will read about that when you look up cycling. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Guest Brains!

Thanks when he was sick I was so worried and there was nothing I could do because I was going to school last monday. So I did my home work and told my mom what Brains! needed, but the pet shop people told her the wrong information and she didn't get what I asked because of them.

Maybe I'll ask my dad to take me to mmm tomarrow or so. ^^

Archived