What To Put In 5 Gallon?

autisticfish

Okay, so my whole journey into goldfish obsession was started when I purchased a 5 gallon tank. I bought the tank for my son, intending to put a betta in it, thinking if I could keep it alive for 6 months, and was still interested in six months, I'd get myself a large (about 55 gallon) tropical tank, and take up fishkeeping again (hadn't had a tank in about 4 years).

Anyway, because there was a goldfish on the box the tank came in, and because my son is autistic, which means he thinks very literally, he insisted upon getting an oranda like the one on the front of the box. So we bought "Nemo". Then I logged on here, realized that 5 gallons isn't enough for a goldfish, so I got Nemo a 28 gallon tank and stand.

Meanwhile, while my goldfish are doing very well, I've gone through three guppies in the small tank. Not all at once - I first tried cycling the tank with one guppy, then, when it died suddenly, with two (who also died suddenly, despite perfect water, and no visible disease).

I've now finished my cycle "fishless", using the waste from my big tank to cycle the small one.

I don't know what to stick in the tank now. My original plan had been to put in three guppies, an otocinclus, and a dwarf frog. However, I'm leary of the guppies now (although I love them). I think part of the problem may be that the tank is too cool. It's 68-70 degrees. Because it's an odd shape (a Marina acrylic), I can't really fit a heater in that easily.

The tank is running on an eclipse stingray submersible filter appropriate for a 5 gallon tank. There's also an air pump and stone running. I recently purchased a small HOB filter (does 90gph), to possibly use on the tank. The lid doesn't allow for an HOB filter, but I thought I may just take the lid off and use the HOB rather than the submersible. That would make more room inside the tank for a heater. However, I worry about evaporation, or the fish jumping out... I suppose I could get a piece of acrylic cut at the local glass cutters to fit the top...

Any suggestions?

Oh, and I've thought about just sticking a betta in there, but the lfs says that bettas don't do well in a larger volume of water without a heater? Plus, to be honest, I'd really like to stick more than one small fish in it.

Oh, and I'm not really fond of Danios, which is why I haven't tried that.

Are the guppies you purchased larger full grown guppies? If so, these fish dont have very much longer to live. they are rather old already. I would try purchasing smaller ones. also, guppies do fine at 68-70 degrees. When my heater died, mine had to live in 60 degree water for a while and they did fine. It just seems odd that they would just die. guppies are pretty hardy fish. Mine have survived nitrates well over 200ppm. this was before i knew the proper care of fish.

you could try some cory catfish and some white cloud minows. you could try a few neon tetras(neon tetras arent very hardy though)

If you google "cold water aquarium fish" you can find some sites that will tell you which species will do well without a heater. I know one of them is White Clouds. They look like a silvery version of neon tetras. Bettas do not do well without a heater. They need temperatures of at least 75 degrees. Hope that helps! :)

Angela

Hi, the guppies were medium-to-large sized, about an inch and a half long including tails I'd guess. It IS weird that they just died, considering my ammonia was never above 0.25, pH was a bit high (7.6) but stable, no nitrites or nitrates when I had them in there.

My water is now almost perfect, with ammonia at 0, nitrites at just under 0.25, and nitrates at about 7. pH is 7.0.

Perhaps, once my nitrites are down to 0, I'll try one more time with the guppies, but add itty bitty ones. I saw that the fishstore had some tiny little guppy babies in a tank with just plants (no doubt rescued from the tank with the adults). They're only about 1cm long, and too young and small to sex yet.

When I just googled cold water fish, I came up with plenty of fish I like, particularly barbs, but they grow quite large and would outgrow my tank I think.

I would go with:

3 guppies (same sex)and 1 oto

4 guppies (same sex)

3 white cloud minnows and 1 oto

4 white cloud minnows

or

2-3 apple snails

1 apple snail and 3 smaller cories

3-4 ghost shrimp can be added to any of those tanks.

Not having a heater can limit your choices, especially since most small fish are also schooling fish, and a 5 gallon is too small for that. Also, if the water goes below 70*F, I would not recomend otos. Maybe you can just leave the top open a crack for the cord to come out? With a heater, you could have all of the all the above, or these:

1 betta and 2 ottos

1 betta and 3 small cories

1 betta and 1 snail (depends)

3 african dwarf frogs

3 guppies (same sex) and 1 adf

3 white cloud minnows and 1 adf

2 dwarf puffers

1 bumble bee goby (brackish)

Don't put ghost shrimp with bettas, puffers, or gobies.

Great suggestions!

I just wanted to point out that people often overlook white clouds because generally they are juveniles in the store and past their striking neon stage, but not showing their full adult colouration. They really do become very attractive with maturity.

Good luck and please let us know what you decide :)

Archived