Hikari Lionhead To A Ryukin

Guest Claysax

Guest Claysax

Hello, i currently have two goldfish, one oranda and one ryukin, in a 55 gallon aquarium and a new lionhead that is still in quarentine :newfish . My question is, if when i move leo (the lionhead :D ) into the 55, i start feeding all the qoldfish Hikari Lionhead instead of Hikari Gold (what they are on now); will it hurt the ryukin.

I know ryukins aren't supposed to have wens, which is the main characteristic that this food would promote, but i want my oranda and lionhead to have big wens.

Anything helps,

Thanks

Well, I can't say i'm sure, but I think the ryukin would do fine. If anything, it might be better than normal food for any goldfish to eat. The improvement that it has on wen growth is probably an indicator of excellent nutrition. :)

Edit:typo

Hikari Lionhead has not harmed my commons, nor have the shrimp pellets, and I've fed it for a few months now... my oranda has an inferior wen, barely there at all, but I suspect that's due to the pet shop having fake orandas.. it was one of two out of seven that had any wen whatsoever!

Guest olive.oyl

nothing bad would happen. i have two ryukins and blue orandas and theyre both fine. in fact theyve grown in body size a bit, ever since i started feeding them the hikari lionheads.

essential amino acids = protein. that's it really, it's a high protein pellet. It's fine for all types of goldies, it is advertised for 'promoting wen growth' which all high protein foods do. :) -The only problem you can get is if you have a short bodied fish that is prone to SBD (floaties) where you might want to avoid it, and you should vary this pellet with vegetable matter, like peas and oranges to give them some fibre (it's a bit the same for humans, if we eat only meat (lots of protein) and get no fibre, we get constipated pretty bad).

Also, if it's winter where you are, and the water temp in your tank is quite low, your fish's metabolism will slow down, meaning that food will pass more slowly through your fish's digestive tract, high protein food is more difficult to digest and can stagnate in your fish's gut which can either exacerbate any SBD problems that are already present, and it can also be a breeding ground for bad bacteria, your fish may end up getting an infection from this... -If it's winter where you are, may I suggest you get a good wheatgerm based pellet (Hikari make a good one I use for my fish) which is much easier for the fish to digest and save the Hikari Lionhead food for Spring/summer when the temperature starts to warm up and fish undergo a growth spurt...

Guest Claysax

:rofl:rofl Don't laugh, i had a couple friends over and they were being dumb and saw all my open packets of fish food and decided to have a taste test. :D

Thank you all for the advice. I think that i'm going to take Tosakin in Oz's advice and not start them on the lionhead until spring. In the meantime, i checked out the "Wen Growth, what brand?" forum and think that i might try a diet of hikari gold, bloodworms and lots of peas. :bingo: ( :D Don't worry, peas won't be the staple of the Claysax Wen Growth Diet, they'll just be an important part.)

Just as a side note ... Hikari Lionhead and Hikari Oranda actually have the same ingredients lists only Hikari Lionhead sinks and the Oranda stuff is floating.

I think giving the products different names like that is more of a marketing tool than anything relating specifically to the breed.

Guest Forever-Mango

Ive been using Hikari Lionhead food for all my goldfish (Ranchu, Comets, B'flys, Telescopes, Lionheads, Orandas, Fantails and Crown Pearlscales) and no harm so far. Just the colouration of the fish are very rich! No deaths and no floaties. I use sinking foods for my goldies because i believe that floating foods make my goldies float. Did some experiments in the past.

Just as a side note ... Hikari Lionhead and Hikari Oranda actually have the same ingredients lists only Hikari Lionhead sinks and the Oranda stuff is floating.

Sure? Shouldn't be the same, just similar.

Sure? Shouldn't be the same, just similar.

Hikari Oranda Gold

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (Min.)

45%

Crude Fat (Min.)

6.0%

Crude Fiber (Max.)

5.0%

Moisture (Max.)

10%

Crude Ash (Max.)

14%

Phosphorus (Min.)

1.2%

Ingredients:

Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Krill Meal, Spirulina, Dried Seaweed Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Gluten Meal, Enzyme, Garlic, Astaxanthin, Monosodium Glutamate, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Oil, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K), Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Inositol, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate.

Hikari Lionhead

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (Min.)

46%

Crude Fat (Min.)

6.0%

Crude Fiber (Max.)

5.0%

Moisture (Max.)

10%

Crude Ash (Max.)

15%

Phosphorus (Min.)

1.2%

Ingredients:

Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Krill Meal, Spirulina, Dried Seaweed Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Gluten Meal, Astaxanthin, Enzyme, Garlic, Monosodium Glutamate, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Oil, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K), Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Inositol, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate.

I tell a lie there are some differences, though they are pretty minimal. Ingredients lists are identical save for the order of Astaxanthin, Enzyme and Garlic.

Confusingly some websites list their guaranteed analyses as the same aswell though I think this is accurate as it corresponds with the info on my own packets.

How odd. Another website has the ingredients for oranda gold listed entirely differently. I wonder if any member who has the product could confirm what is actually in it!

Archived