Bubble-eye Bent At The Tail ?!?!

Guest izgoblin

Guest izgoblin

Hello all,

We've had a 55 gallon tank for 4 years, and Bubbles, the fish most dear to my heart, has been with us since then. He shares the tank with 4 other fancy golds. Unfortunately, we have battled somewhat high levels of nitrate for quite a while. We try to do 30% water changes every week, but in the past month we've only been able to do so every two weeks.

When I came home last night, Bubbles was floating on his side at the top of the tank. Recently he's been laying on his side on the bottom, likely due to one of his eye sacs getting so big. I didn't feel like he was sick, because often he'd be swimming normally, and he'd eat fine.

He ate fine yesterday morning too, but in the evening, I noticed he appeared "bent" at nearly a 90 degree angle near his tail fin. I thought for sure he was sick, so I quickly rushed to do a big water change (at least 30%). This morning when I awoke, he was trying to swim again, seemingly responding to the better quality water. However, he's still "bent" - and it seems like he can't move his tail fin at all.

Can poor water quality do this? Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to test the water before I left this morning so I can't give any readings yet, but our patterns have been 0 ppm of nitrite and ammonia - but the nitrate levels have been higher than they should be. The only other thing I can think is that our ryukin likes to hang out in the corner of the tank that Bubbles has recently taken to, and the ryukin seems to be bullying Bubbles for "his spot". As such, Bubbles gets kinda pushed behind the undergravel filter there. Could the ryukin have bullied him in such a way that he got himself hurt?

Any thoughts or theories on what happened to Bubbles? And if he is injured due to a scuffle, is there anything I can do for him besides keeping up with my water changes?

Thanks,

-Ian

It would help if you gave us as much info as asked for in the box above it will help us help you better :) Bubble Eyes should only be kept in tanks with their own kind , Celestials or Telescopes due to their visual impairment.They should not be kept with Ryukins,Ranchu's or any other breeds.

I have a Bubble Eyes named Bubbles

I am almost certain poor water can cause this. As above members suggest, you'll need to do much larger water changes to reduce nitrates. After 4 years your beneficial bio load is easily able to handle and restock itself with as much as 7o% w/cs.

And as Blue said, for a MOd's help you'll need to list your water params and pH :)

Yes, I have seen poor water quality cause a fish to look bent. As the other posters have suggested, a large water change would be the first thing to do asap.

If you can post your readings here as soon as you can, it would help a lot to figure out what is going on in your tank.

Guest izgoblin

Ok, thanks for the info. When I get home tonight, we'll get the water tested and I'll post. We'll change more water as soon as it is ready (unless you think otherwise, I never trust what I was told that I can just use tap water without waiting 24-48 hours as long as I add detoxifiers).

I guess the problem we need to overcome is that we seem to have enough room for a 55 gallon tank, but not enough room to store 20+ gallons of available water for each change. Guess we'll just need to find that room!!

Guest Juliosmom

Far from any sort of expert here, but I've been doing water changes like crazy this past week. As many as 5 a day. There was no way I could leave my water out so I just treat the new water each time with a conditioner before adding the tank. I haven't noticed any adverse reaction because of it?

Good luck! My water changes have been minimum 50% this week, often closer to 70% and my fish are handling well. I feel a bit weird when I do a 25% :D

I hope Bubbles is feeling better very soon! :ill

As long as you use a good water conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramine, and match the temperature, there is no problem adding water directly from the tap.

Sometimes people have a big variation between ph out of the tap and ph in the tank and they let the water sit so that the ph will adjust. However, usually the difference is slight and this isn't a problem.

I think in your case, with your fish showing signs of distress, it is important to do the water change as quickly as possible.

Guest izgoblin

Well, we've done another 30% water change (the second within 2 days, only because that's all the water I have containers to keep!) and here are my levels:

Ph - 7.8

Ammonia - 0 ppm

Nitrite - 0 ppm

Nitrate - 10 ppm

I allowed the water to settle/mix in the tank for several hours before performing the test, to insure a correct reading. The Nitrate is high, but not as high as I had expected. Though the Ph seems a little high to me, no? I'm actually surprised to see that, as we used to test it regularly for the longest time and it was always perfect (7.5 or 7.6), so we stopped bothering, but it seems that has since changed. I haven't tested the water directly from the tap yet which I must do next.

Bubbles (ok, so it's not the most original name, but it suited him so well) is still often floating at the top on his side, but since the water change the other day I have seen him swim properly, and he ate fine again today (we fed him peas today). He seems to be having his good moments and bad moments.

I suppose we'll keep up with the water changes over the next few days to get the Nitrate down further, get some more containers to keep more water, and keep our fingers crossed. I must admit I'm surprised to hear suggestions of 50% or more in water changes, only because I seem to recall reading that standard recommendation was 25% - 30% weekly. Of course, whatever keeps my fish healthy is what I want to do.

I must admit I'm surprised to hear suggestions of 50% or more in water changes, only because I seem to recall reading that standard recommendation was 25% - 30% weekly. Of course, whatever keeps my fish healthy is what I want to do.

That's old belief leh. I do 90-100% every week :)

Goldfish thrive on water changes. I regularly do large changes of 50-60%.

Also, with my pond fish (who are overwintering in my basement), I do 90% water changes and with the fry, I do 100% changes.

Since you are seeing an improvement in your fish with the water changes, you can be pretty confident that the problem was a water quality one.

I would certainly keep up the water changes and please keep us posted. I am glad to hear that Bubbles is improving :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest izgoblin

Terrible, I'm afraid. We kept up with our water changes over the past two weeks, and he seemed to improve for a while, but Bubbles wasn't looking good at all when I came home from work Monday night. We immediately started another water change, and just as we did so, I realized that he had already passed away. :-(

A friend of mine tried to console me by telling me that 4 years was a long time to have a goldfish, but I know he could have been with us longer. I can't help but feel that it just wasn't his time to go. I miss the little guy a lot. I was easily as attached to him as any person could be to a pet. Everyone else made fun of him, but I was always on his side.

Ho hum. The tank will just never be the same without him.

Archived