Ceramic Noodle Media

Trinket

Cleaning the overhead filter out I noticed some of my ceramic noodles (bio media)under the mesh have turned blue :hummm Is this dangerous? Looks like it could be a kind of mould ?Should I remove them? No problems with cycle, I just tested the water.

Thanks Chrissy :D ..but no I have white gravel :hmm I'm wondering if these noodle things get to a point where they just get rotten...like the sponge does... :blink:

Mmm, no meds in this tank ever. But thanks very much everyone for the input :D . I'm thinking its a mould, like could be seen on rotten bread...that is what it looks like.. it smells rotten too.

That is really odd.... I have never heard of that. But if it smells bad, then.... that is not good.

IF it is only a few of them, I think I would take them out and boil them. When you drop them back in, the others will quickly colonize them again.

The good thing about the ceramic is that it is virtually indestructable. It is an inert material - you can boil, bake, pressure cook, bleach, and dry it well and it should be just as good to use the next time....

I am really interested what you find.....

Thanks daryl. Okay I'll take the blue ones out and boil them -theres not many- and I'll try and maybe get a pic too. The fish are asleep now so I'll do it tommorrow. It's not a real strong smell, it is a kind of vegetable gone rotten smell.

Archived