Fin Rot Just Won't Stop!

ktinal900

About a month ago one of my female bettas starting getting fin rot. I've been salting her (1 tsp per gallon) as well as using BettaFix but to no avail. Her fins are still rotting away! It's terrible, but it's been slow enough that I'm hoping one of you with more betta experience can help me find a way to stop the rot for good so her fins can start growing back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Oh, yeah, about her tank:

She's currently in a 2.5 gallon tank, water params are good (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5-10, ph 7.2), live plants, no filter, 25% water changes every few days, Prime water conditioner. She has a very healthy appetite and is very active. She's such a feisty little girl (more than so than all my boys! who would've thought?! LoL), I would hate to lose her to fin rot. :(

I personally would stop the salt treatment myself,and look for an Antibiotic for finrot.Depending on the amount of salt and the length of time using it,that too can aggravate shredded fins. Are they coming off in chunks?Any redness to the fins at all,and what do the edges look like?Any possible pics?

Hi Comet! My boy Kip had been fighting a case of fin rot, and I also tried Bettafix, to no avail. I decided to try Maracyn (no salt), with the appropriate dosage, and it is working much better. I can see lots of new growth after just a few days. You may want to try that; just be sure to follow dosage directions closely and do water changes when advised on package. Good luck, and let us know how she's doing!

Hey, thanks everyone for the advice! I was thinking of stopping the salt and give her fresh water, since it didn't seem to be doing much and actually may have affected her anal fin :( Her tail fin is receding in curves so now it looks spiky. The edges are normal colored, no redness. I'll try the Maracyn and see how that works.

you might try adding some bettafix to the water for a week of so. I know when my elderly betta had fin rot it helped him. However his was persistant and as soon as I stopped the bettafix treatment the fin rot would return. So he had to be kept on Bettafix all the time.

I treated her with Maracyn for the full five day treatment. It looks like it may be working but I haven't seen much fin growth yet. I suppose I shouldn't expect a miracle regrowth in a week LoL. How long will it probably take to grow back? Do you think i should go for another round of Maracyn? The package says the treatment can be repeated once if necessary.

And Bettaqueen, I also have an old betta who has to be kept in BettaFix ever since I started using it.. after I stopped, the little white fuzzies would come back. I think he's just addicted to it LoL j/k :rolleyes:

I know but not a bad thing to be addicted to . :rofl Zeke's took a few months to grow out using Bettafix constantly in conjunction with salt in the water.

Archived