Dwarf Puffer Pictures

smwilliams

they are SUPPOSED to be one male, one female, but i am not sure which since they are so young and change change their color. but, here they are.

dwarrf1.jpg

dwarf2.jpg

dwarf3.jpg

you can see how itsy bitsy they are compared to the pebbles in the tank. my goldies seem like monsters now!

:D Very cute!!! I'll have to tell you that everytime I see these guys,I want to pull out one of my smaller tanks and get them.I have been tempted for a long time. :yeah:

Tonight not only did I see Fresh Water Puffers,I also got to see some salt water ones and I just love their little faces.

Congrats! :D

:D Very cute!!! I'll have to tell you that everytime I see these guys,I want to pull out one of my smaller tanks and get them.I have been tempted for a long time. :yeah:

Tonight not only did I see Fresh Water Puffers,I also got to see some salt water ones and I just love their little faces.

Congrats! :D

I LOVE the puffer face too! it's funny how something so small can be do deadly!... and be smiling at you the whole time! i think that maybe that is part of the reason i like them so much. HA! I saw a "spotted" puffer at a lfs last night, (whilst on my hunt for the dwarfs) he was in the freshwater section, but i don't know if he was brackish or not. i was mighty tempted to get him but he was too big for the 10 gal setup i bought. big enough to see that cute smiley face though!

i did take the ammonia remover bag out. i am hoping the established media i put in from my goldie tank will help. the ammonia remover bag had already turned brownish. also, i am hoping having the tank on a much higher temp will speed things up as well.

i know these are supposed to be kept at 80 degrees but my tank's temp is not stabilizing at all. last night it got up to 86, this morning it was 68. i know thats not goot at all, and i am dreading an ich outbreak now. anyone know how tolerant these guys are of temp changes?

They are so cute! I thought about getting two or three of those for my 10 gallon, do you think I could. It is empty right now, do you think that would work or do you think I would need a bigger tank? Please let me know!

Thanks!

the told me at vvvv (where i bought them) i could have up to 5 in my 10 gal. currently i have 2, largely in part to the tank being new and cycling (fingers crossed bio-spira works). i probably wouldn't put more than three in there, just cuz they dart around and seem to like the room. i've read they need about 2 gal per fish so i don't know. also, i know sexing them is a big deal because mature males get territorial, so i didn't want to get many and have to worry about that. but i def. think 10 gal is enough for two or three. i can't even find mine in my tank half the time.

They are extremely territorial and I had a large colony in my 30 gallon and still had some problems.It was heavily planted and decorated so each male could have his own area. I would say if you only had one male and a couple females you could keep them in a 10 gallon.

I kept them years ago when they were first being introduced to the aquarium scene and were still hard to come by (they were only started to be imported in the late 90s). They are not tolerant of temperature changes. They are native to the streams of India and need tropical temps. The tough thing with puffers is their constantly growing little beaks. They need to be fed live snails or other hard shelled foods to keep them trimmed. Generally you also want hard rocks and things that they can nibble on to keep their beaks down.

I kept a separate tank for breeding small physid snails and they absolutely relished those. They would also enjoy mysis shrimp (frozen) and some eventually started eating flake and pellet food. I believe they are thankfully only captive raised and no longer wild caught anymore.

Thanks for this thread... now you've got me wanting them again... :rolleyes:

:D

i do what i can!

so what is needed for this snail-growing? i don't know that i want to deal with the hassle... depending on what's involved. i may just buy them at the lfs.

i did get my tank temp stabilized, which is a huge relief. now i'm just hoping this bio-spira will work. i know it probably won't... but a girl can dream.

Setting up a snail tank shouldn't be a problem! I bought a plant about 6 months ago and within a month my tank was FULL of baby snails, a few had come in on the plant. Now, I have to pick them out at least once a week or my tank gets overrun. If I were you I'd go to the petstore and look for a tank with baby snails on the glass, any plants in that tank are almost guarenteed to have a good little starter population.

Chrissy

That's it exactly!! And physids are the little football shaped brown/black snails. YOu don't want the trumpet snails as their shells are too hard. The tiny ramshorns would also work. Just get some live plants, or even just ask the pet store for some pest snails. They usually give them to you free. I used to just take them home and the store was glad to see them go.

I had a little 10 gallon but you could even do a small 2.5 or 5 gallon, and it doesn't necessarily need to be heated, as long as it stays in the 70s.

So, do these things need salt to live or is it just plain old freshwater? At what temperature? Could you please inform me on the basics?

Thanks!

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breedi...rf_Puffers.html

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_puffer3.php

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breedi...rf_Puffers.html

http://puffernet.tripod.com/travancoricus.html

they are completely freshwater, about 80 degrees. i find the most inconvenient thing about them is the diet requirements. other than that, i like that they require so little room (compared to goldies) i got all my info from those sites.

Archived