Anal Fins?

autisticfish

I have a question about anal fins - they're supposed to be paired, right?

Nemo, my female oranda, has two. Baloo, my crown pearlscale (can't tell yet if it's male or female) only has one. Gilbert, my big male oranda, I *think* has one big one, and a tiny second one. It's hard to tell on him, as his tail is so long and flowy that I seldom get more than a quick fleeting glimpse of his hiny.

All of my fishies' other fins are paired, it's just the anal fins that aren't on two of them. Is that normal, or just an imperfection?

just curious :)

In the US, anal fins are very low on the scale of importance in a "show". Fins are, ideally, supposed to be double and matched. But a single anal fin will only detrimentally affect the judgement of the fish is there is an equal fish that has 2.... A single can win just fine.

Mismatched fins as a bit more of a problem for a show fish. Anything that is not symetrical or balanced can impact on the fish's judgement.

Having one anal fin or mismatched anal fins or anal fins that are at angles does not, in any way, harm the fish or make its life any more difficult than having two would. That happens to be one of the more common genetic "flaws" that occur on a regular basis as stated in the above post.

One of my "best" show winners has a single anal fin. He is a fine looking fish! :)

Archived