I Need A New Fish Tank, But My Mom Won't Let Me Get One!

iwantatosakin

ok, so i already have a topic about my leaking tank, and i found the perfect one on Craigslist.com to replace my leaking tank(we can't locate where it's leaking from, and it's already broken somwhere else). My dad lives in Fullerton, which happens to be where the seller lives, which WAS working out even better. The seller is selling a 50 gallon for $50, and i think it would be perfect for a new tank.I already had set aside $20 towards it, So i told my mom, who doesn't even like to hear anything that has to do with my fish, and before i got to finish my sentence, she started screaming at me and saying that i don't need a new fish tank. I started to tell her that my goldfish, even though he's only 1 and a half inches needs a bigger tank than the one he's in now! I was also going to get a new fish before i knew iny tank was to small, and i told her that the fish tank was to small, she started screaming at me even more, so i'm really frustrated. She doesn't get how much of an emergency this is, and when i told her, all i got was even more screaming! I really don't know what do do. Someone please help me!

:cry:cry:cry1:cry1:cry1:cry1

Im a little confused. sorry

were you going to ask your mom for $30? If so, its apparent she isn't going to pay, but if you save up the $50 by yourself, and you pay for it yourself, could you get it?

If you can't get $30 soon enough, you could always ask your dad for the money ;)

btw, sorry if i sounded a little rude in the 'old topic' :)

hi, can I clarify something with you? About your tank, is it because you wanted to get the $30 from your mom and that is why she didn't wanted to allow you to get the tank? Or is it because she doesn't even want a tank in her house.

As you can see the money and tank in the house issue are totally different things.

If your mom doesn't want to give you the money, but still allows you to get the tank, then you might as well get a tank that is good enough for your current fish now, and save up more in future to get a bigger one, the smaller one won't be a waste still as you can use it for a backup like for water changes and such.

But if your mom doesn't allow you to get the tank altogether, then you need to talk to her more and more until she says yes, and talk to her nicely.XD

It was similar between myself and my mom too, but lucky for me I had a job and just spent my own money on anything I wanted for the fish. After she saw how wonderful everything could be with goldfish, she was happier for it.

Maybe she would be more inclined to help you out if you earned the money. Like doing extra work around the house or asking your neighbors if you could do any housework for them for a little cash (mowing the lawn, cleaning leaves, etc).

she doesn't even want the tank in the house. I try to tell her, and I tell her nicely, but all she does is screams! When the word "fish" comes out of my mouth, she doesn't want to talk to me and changes the subject quickly.She already knows I take really good care for my fish, but she still won't let me get a bigger tank. My dad doesn't get it either. And if i do do extra work around the house, she won't give me money. I've tried that already. She doesn't give me or my sisters allowance.

EDIT: One thing that really gets on my nerves is that we were at vvvv getting crickets for my chameleons, and she walked by a 75 gallon and said," I want to get a tank like this and put kois in it.">: [

or asking your neighbors if you could do any housework for them for a little cash (mowing the lawn, cleaning leaves, etc).

If you decide to do this it could turn into a good living for you. I started mowing the lawn for people when I was 14. For 20 years I did it part time on the week ends while working other jobs. For the the last 4 years I've been doing it full time and I make more money working 8 months a year than my college educated brother and sister who both have good jobs in their field.

I know how you feel. My mom goes crazy if I talk about fish buuuuuuut for some reason she is now thinking about building a large pond. :blink: I don't get it. Can you use the $20 to buy a rubber maid tub until you are able to make the money for a new tank? I saw a really nice one at target today for only $8. It was about 20 gallons.

Hello,

First of all, if your mom gets so upset when you mention a tank that you aren't able to finish a sentence, then unfortunately you're probably going to have to wait for a little while before you ask her again. It might even be a shorter total time to get the tank if you wait before asking her again than if you ask her every day but get into an argument every time. That might mean passing up this Craigslist tank, but there will be others. It also means very frequent water changes for your fish while they're in their temporary home. However, demonstrating responsibility and concern to your mom, by taking care of your fish, will help your cause eventually.

The problem is, even if you're right, you're not going to win an argument of this sort with your mom. So, you're going to need to go about this in a different way (you might still be able to win, but not if its an argument). If it were me, I'd probably wait a few days (or more) without mentioning it AT ALL. But, while I was waiting, I'd be building up ammunition. Try to find some good information that you could print out for your mom that is very clear on the actual needs of goldfish. It would need to be persuasive enough to counter whatever other arguments she might hear from "the guy at the pet store".

Print out the information, but don't show it to her until the time is right. Wait until it no longer "feels" like a hot issue, you're getting along in general, and you're not in a rush to get somewhere. Then try to show her the information.

Even then, you'll have to be careful. If you give the articles to her and say, "These articles show why I NEED NEED NEED a new tank and I NEED it right NOW and if you don't get it for me you're MEAN!!!!!!", she'll probably start screaming again. ;) But, maybe if you said something like, "The articles show how important it is for goldfish to have space and good water quality, and I was wondering what you think the best way for me to help my fish would be", that might work.

That might sound silly, but moms like to feel like they're in charge and making the decisions. If she decides your fish need a tank, you will get one. If she feels like you're giving her orders, it's not going to work, even if you're correct and your goldfish do need a home very badly.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a situation that works for your fish and your mom. :)

Guest LilRubyQueen

My grandmother doesn't think I need a bigger tank neither; which i wouldn't want one. It'd make my room look like an aquarium. I think if I got a bigger tank too; she'd freak so I think I can understand where your mother is coming from. Having a big tank (50 galloner) can be scary.

Don't take advice from me; I know I dont keep my fish in the so called most 'healthiest' conditions according to some on this board but I'd just get another tank like the one that was cracked. Money is the big issue; I understand how you feel. When I first got my 10 gallon tank i spent ALL of my tip money that I worked for during the summer (and I only got tip money, didn't get a paycheck) so basically it was everything I had ever worked for the whole summer. Infact, my grandmother got a little upset when I didn't have enough money for the siphon lol, had to borrow $4 from her and had to promise to pay her back. lol (my family is all about the money)

I haven't asked her for a while, so maybe I'll ask her today.....just maybe......What size tank do you think i should get if she says yes??? I was thinking a 25-30 gallon (because of the new fish I was going to get). And also, what fish should I get? I was thinking maybe a blue oranda or a pompom (if i can find one).

BTW- thanx for all da help.

ok, so I copy and pasted part of Goldfish care from Koko's ( the part about why goldfish need bigger tanks). Do you think that will persuade my mom to let me get a new tank?

P.S.- My mom is hard to persuade.

Really, I'd imagine it has most to do with your mother's reasoning for saying no. There must be some justification, as a mother wouldn't do it just to be mean.

... but as a reminder, never ask, then ask "but why notttt!" That tends to get negative results.

i talked to my mom, and she's going to buy me a 10-20 gallon today! Hopefully i'm getting a 20 gallon Because I'm going to order a fish from Dandy Orandas if i'm getting a 20 gallon!!! Well, maybe. Still got to ask her if I, not her, can buy a fish from there. I'm hopefully going to get a chocolate pompom!!!!!!!Thank you everybody for the help. But one last question. Do i need to cycle the tank still if i have some of the water, all the decorations, and the filter?(i couldn't run the filter, so i soaked the filter bag in the tank water. It's still in there.)

i talked to my mom, and she's going to buy me a 10-20 gallon today! Hopefully i'm getting a 20 gallon Because I'm going to order a fish from Dandy Orandas if i'm getting a 20 gallon!!! Well, maybe. Still got to ask her if I, not her, can buy a fish from there. I'm hopefully going to get a chocolate pompom!!!!!!!Thank you everybody for the help. But one last question. Do i need to cycle the tank still if i have some of the water, all the decorations, and the filter?(i couldn't run the filter, so i soaked the filter bag in the tank water. It's still in there.)

That's nice of her. I guess she finally gave in, eh?

You may have lost a portion of your nitrifying bacteria if the media wasn't well aerated/circulated. What'd be best is setting up the new tank with the media and running it through a fishless cycle. You should get through it fairly quickly if your media has a enough bacteria to bounce back. :)

generally speaking, you want to run a new tank for at least a week to get good bacteria established. I'm assuming you already have one goldfish, and I'd just let the single fish into the big tank for a week to make sure the water's stable (good readings of nitiIte/Ate). Then I'd consider adding a new goldfish to the mix, and that's only if I got a 20 gallon. If the tank you end up with is a ten, then a second fish is likely out of the question.

Chocolate pompom? eye-candy yummy. I saw a pic once of a celestial eye pompom, and that was sweet.

She's into koi, huh? Then a 75 might be big enough for one, fully grown. Koi grow to about two feet long and sometimes live longer than 40 years. They're like goldfish to the nth power :D

You could however, put seven fancy goldfish in a tank that size. Or you could put a few more common (single tailed) goldfish in there. Maybe comets or shubies would be best for her :)

Have you looked for an aquarium society near you? I know the one near me regularly holds nonprofit auctions of fish supplies. Any proceeds go to the seller, with a percent going to the club just to keep it going. You usually get what fish are worth. Mine however, has very few goldfish enthusiasts that are way hardcore. It's mostly the causual ciclid keepers.

wow, I'm ramblling. Good luck with the tank :)

ok, so my mom said i can maybe get it tomorrow, because she had to get new tires on her car.

P.S.- Watching Dandy Oranda dvd and still eyeing that pompom :popcorn

Or i might just get one from a pet store........

I rather wait & get the 20 instead of 10 gal.

Ordering online can be frustrating. At your age, I suggest calling different stores.

Sometimes you can get free stuff on craigs etc.

That?s how I got my free 55gal acrylic

- skimmer

- hood & super glo lights

- plants etc.

Archived