Help! My Little Black Moor Is Sick....

Guest jd1000

Hi All,

very quickly Ill describe whats going on.

My black moor has been loosing weight recently , then I noticed that his gills are puffed up, so they dont seem to close properly anymore. Now today he is just sitting at the bottom of the tank, his fins etc are all droopy.

I think he must have gill parasites. Any ideas how I can make him better? Is there something I can add to the water? (There is another goldfish with him, but he seems fine).

:) Hi jd and welcome to the forum.Before we can make a diagnosis to you,we really do need a bit more info about your tank,maintainance,etc,so if you could answer the questions up above that would give us a real jump on it.Post soon. :)

Hi,

its a 4 gallon tank.

One other fish in there. I know its small but theyve been fine together for the past 6 months or so.

I change the water every 2 weeks.

I use sera water conditioner.

I dont really have another other info. Theres no gravel at the bottom or plants etc. Had a bit of a prob with algae a few weeks ago, but cleaned that up and now its under control.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your fish. Hopefully we can help you sort things out.

The first thing I see is you are overstocked. It is recommended by all gf experts that each fancy gf (ones with double tails) have 10 gals of water each. The commons and comets need 20 gals each.

So right away I see a water quality issue. This is not good, especially with only changing small amounts of water every couple weeks.

The first thing to do is a 75% water change asap. Then you will need to get the tests to test the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. PH testing is also required.

Unfortunately their situation isn't going to get better without addressing the small living quarters they are in. Can you upgrade to a bigger tank?

I can briefly explain that gf need this much water due to the fact they produce a lot of waste that is toxic to them. Without having a bigger environment to live in that waste quickly makes them ill, that is what you are seeing.

Post back soon and we can go from there. Welcome to the site!!

Im going to do the water change as soon as I get home. Unfortunately its very difficult for me to get a new tank because of the cost and also the space required :(

Im also going to stop at the aquatics store i bought them from and see if theres anything I can add because of the gill prob.

Its just such a worry to see the poor little guy looking so sad.

Im also going to stop at the aquatics store i bought them from and see if theres anything I can add because of the gill prob.

Don't add anything at all before rectifying your water issues. Best thing you can do now is keep the water quality perfect and do A LOT of water changes to compensate the small water volume. Pristine water is the best medicine for a sick fish.

Often times gills swell and curl out because of poor water quality.,If caught quickly,and you fix that problem,they mend on their own.If it's gone on too long,then there's a chance that the gills may have gotten a secondary infection from it,and may need treatment with an Antibiotic.

The thing is that your tank is awful small,and therefore really hard to maintain good water quality.When fish need treatment and the water quality isn't pristene,then the meds that you may use will not work to their full potential.

The fish may have seemed fine the first 6 months,but as they grow,they produce more waste an ammonia.By you keeping them in such a small tank,and only changing out water once every two weeks,they are basically sitting in a tank of toxins.

Believe me,I understand that it's sometimes hard to come up with the tanks,equipment and such ,when you need it,but in this case,there are no other solutions. :( As long as they're kept in this size tank,you'll continue to have problems.

Look on Craigslist,local garage sales,etc,as sometimes you can find pretty good deals.Look into buying a Rubbermaid bin.You can get one that holds around 20 gals. pretty cheap-many of our members use these for sick tanks or even temporary housing until they can get something better. :)

In the meantime,I suggest upping your water changes to 50% ,a couple times a week.Investing in a Drop Test Kit,is a great investment and will keep you from having to guess if your water quality is okay or not.Most times ,a fish acting out of the normal ,is telling you that the water is a problem,so get into the habit of changing it more often,and using matched temps and treated water.Until we know if your water params are better,it's hard to say if your fish needs an Antibiotic or what. :unsure:

Thanks for all your help on this. Im going to certainly increase teh water changes to every day.

Im also going to get a test kit for the water. Just for my reference, I have 1 fantail and 1 blackmoor, what should teh nitrates, amonia etc level be to keep them healthy?

To answer this, let me first ask you a question. Do you have a filter for the tank? If so then your reading should be as follows:

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrites 0ppm

Nitrates <20ppm

Ph - anywhere between 7 and 8 is good as long as it's stable. So if you have a ph of say 7.4 - this is a healthy level if it constantly stays 7.4.

If you don't have a filter, then you won't get a reading for nitrites (and very little for nitrates if at all) because filters house good bacteria and this bacteria takes on the task of converting ammonia (waste) into nitrites and then to the less harmful nitrates. So without a filter to house the nitrifying bacteria, the ammonia has nowhere to go but up.

If you have a filter, do you know what kind it is?

Archived