Sukai In Trouble

Blue

Ammonia = 1.0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 5

pH = 6.6

5 gallon QT running for 3 weeks

Fluval 1plus

water changes currently daily twice yesterday.

1 fish 1.5inchs approx probably less

King British Safe Water,Safe Guard

Melafix was in

No new fish

Only unusal behaviour bottom sitting,tail totally flat not using when swimming.spasms when swimming.

Due to water results just performed 50% change.Going to put coral gravel in to help boost pH.He's been in QT for 2weeks no probs till yesterday when he started bottom sitting problem.Should I risk moving him in with Bubbles due to water probs as don't want to lose this little one.

:unsure: Your tank is on the verge of a ph crash Frazer.How much water were you changing out daily? With you having such a high ammonia reading,apparently it wan't enough.What isyour normal ph out of the tap?Are you testing params on a daily basis?That's something you need to do,especially when you're dealing with a small uncycled tank. :unsure:

Currently 50% chnges yesterday I did it twice I maybe think I should get him out of QT and into my 20gallon with Bubbles

Against my better judgement I have moved him in with Bubbles.I have now discovered blood streaks in his tail.I wish I had moved him after 2weeks in QT that way he wouldn't have got sick.

I have put both sera baktopur and baktopur direct in tank as course of treatment was recently finished and water change done in that tank due to Bubbles having had dropsy.Now all I can do is wait.At least pH is stable in that tank and he's now slightly more active than he was.

:unsure: I can understand why you've done it Frazer,but you also have to understand that you may be passing illness and contaminating multiple fish and tanks.Hopefully Bubbles is completely 100% back to health,and things will be okay with the meds you've added.

Upon close examination he has fin rot.In the smaller tank it was impossible to see it.Bubbles is 100% herself again and the meds put in are strongest available I listed their ingredients here.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=56938

If I recall it was mentioned in that thread that the sera baktopur may be a bit too strong for a small fish.

The fin problem is caused of course by the water params.

That was the King British,if I recall ,that contained Formaldhyde,and I commented that this particular drug had to be used with cautions as it's pretty strong. You then mentioned sera baktopur/baktopur and I said that I thought the second drug sounded like the best one.

I'm not quite sure why this is mentioned,unles it's because you thought that you were using th stronger drug and worried,or what? :idont

Sukai made it through the night.He's currently stable but not out of the woods yet.He still has an appetite so thats good he's desperate to stuff his little face I just make sure food is near him and Bubbles gets hers other end tho am planning on picking up tank divider for feeding purposes.He's swimming better despite fin rot to his tail which is holding him back.So its a waiting game the sera baktopur got Bubbles cured of dropsy fast so hope its as good for little Sukai.

Update!

Sukai is holding in there.He is swimming in tank,feeding as well.The blood streaks in his tail are not as prominant as before however due to bottom sitting past two days he does have a small sore underneath.So heres hoping he remains stable as I have seen this before fish picks up then suddenly they are gone so not going to get too excited just incase.

Sometimes when you are forced to use a VERY small container for a QT tank it is better to not even attempt to cycle it. Better to simply change out 100% of the water every day, reduce/restrict feedings and filter/aerate at normal rates. Adding in a daily dose of Prime with every water change should keep your fish happy and qted in health for the prescribed 2 weeks....

I am glad to hear that Sukai is feeling better - I hope he continues to improve. :)

:) That's great news Frazer.I also want to say that I agree with carol on the full water changes,especially now that he's devloped a small sore.Those sores can and will turn into ulcers if not dealt with quickly.I would continue the med course,and do the 100% water changes. That should keep that sore from getting worse. :)

Thanks Carol,Laurie and Sharon. :)

Sukai is stable but it could still go either way.He still wants to eat.I have put a box filter in the tank full of ammonia chips to try help with water quality as meds kill everything.

My only other concern is I have a particle residue across the bottom of the tank caused by ammonia chips.How can I clear this residue as it wont help the sore on Sukai's belly.I have tryed using gravel cleaner and its not lifting it even when I water changed this morning I couldn't get it up either.Any ideas as I want this barebottom clear of any debris.

Pull the hose off the tube of your gravel vacumn. Use just the hose to syphon. You can scoop Sukai into t small colandar and float him during this, or just be REALLY careful, but the narrow diameter of the hose will make the suction more powerful and you will be able to suck up the chips quite readily.

:)

I found he had passed away yesterday morning.He's in the obituaries :cry1 The meds had worked too as all blood streaks were gone guess meds was too strong for him :cry1

Archived