Uh-oh...so Not Good......

iwantatosakin

Ok, so last night, i was looking at my fish tank, admiring its beauty, but at the corner of my eye, I saw something. I looked to see what it was, and it was water!!! My tank was leaking and it was ruining my wooden dresser :krazy: !!!! So i took out my fish, Finley,took out the water, and put the tank my bathtub. I definitely don't have the money to buy a new tank, and i feel horrible because I had to put Finley in an EXTREMELY tiny tank!!!! What do I do!!!!!!!!

(P.S. Is this in the right place? Sorry koko if it isn't)

Is the tank cracked or leaking from a seam? If it's cracked, there's not much you can do. If a seam is leaking, you can fix it.

You'll need to take EVERYTHING out of the tank, and dry it out thoroughly. Put your decorations, gravel, etc. in tank water with aeration if you can, so you don't lose all your good bacteria, and run your filter on the small tank you're using in the interim.

Buy some clear aquarium silicone. Caulk the leak, and let it dry for the amount of time it says on the packaging. Don't put water in early, even if it feels dry to touch - if you cheat on that it will just leak again.

Once everything is ready, fill it with water and let it stand a few hours to make sure it's not leaking. If all is well, put everything back in and voila! problem solved :)

Good luck!

If the filter that you had on the auqarium is cycled it should be ok. That is if all the good stuff hasn't died from being dried out. If not, it would take weeks to cycle and he will still be in the tiny tank. I would just go ahead and put him in a rubbermaid and watch my water VERY closely. You might have to do a lot of water changes, but at least he would have more room.

EDIT-I hope everything turns out all right from you. And look in your local newspapers for a bigger tank, I found a 20 gallon for $10 in the Thrifty Nickle here, if you have anything like that where you live. Of course, this was after I bought a new tank for $50!

You could also check Craigslist.com in your area. Ive found several cheap tanks on there. If you dont have your filter running now, I would stick the media into a bucket and run an airstone in there to keep it from losing the good bugs.

Also, be sure that what you use is specifically aquarium sealant, normal household silicone has fungicides in it that'll kill your fish. Also make sure to rub the seam down really well with rubbing alcohol before you put the new sealant on to be sure there will be no leaks. You can usually find aquarium sealant at W-Mart for about $5 and most pet stores will carry it. If it is a crack that's not on a seam, you could still try to seal it....it won't be pretty, but I've been able to make it work before, had a crack appear in one of my 29s (this was when I was still at home and I think one of my spiteful step-bros may be responsible for it), I didn't have any more space for tanks or any more money, and the fish I had in that tank couldn't be put in something smaller, so I went ahead and sealed it, worked great until I had to move when the bottom broke out of it (my mom stuck the tanks in the back of a U-Haul in January that still had a tiny bit of water in the bottoms, lost three tanks on the way over). Hope you get it figured out fast!

Wal mart has a 10 gallon for $9.98 (several different individual stores, all the same price). It doesn't come with a hood or filter or anything, but you should still have all that stuff.

Though rubbermaids are a good choice too.

Archived