Guppies!

TetraLover

Got my 2.5 back up and running without a hitch, so I dropped by the local W-Mart and picked up two fancy guppies. Poor woman was having problems catching the little buggers. The males were in with baby Blood Parrot Ciclids and those guys were soooo attention hungry! They swamed whatever came near the tank.

Anyways. I got a lovely spotted tailed female, and a male that shades from white to this bluey purple color, with a nicely contrasting orange tail :)

Once I get another filter (fingers crossed!!! W-Mart had some nice Whispers for cheap!) I'll set up my 5 gallon again and move the guppies into there.

Oh, and they had two really pretty calico fish (kinda like ryukin but sorta slimmer?) and one was obviously female and the other male. There's no way anyone could tell me that one was trying to eat the other's poop...

Anyways. Here's the two newbies, and the remaining Harley makes an appearence, as does the killifish.

Edit: Dur...helps if I put the link in, doesn't it?

th_b0bb67a1.jpg

Those are some pretty guppies. Are you planning on keeping the male and female together? If you do, you could soon find yourself overwhelmed with guppy fry. I started with one male and one female about 9 months ago and now have over 40 guppies with a new batch being born every couple of weeks.

Yeah. That's why I want to get that 5 gallon going soon. It has more room if they do chose to multiply.

I could probably put a few in the pond out front, but we have Mosquito fish in there, and I don't know if the two can inter-breed or not....Aren't they bascially the same family? So that would open up a whole 'nother can of worms....

I've never seen a more vain fish! I swear, I just put a mirror next to the tank, and this guy is practically preening. I swear, fish know more then we give them credit for, they must know how good they look.

Guppies and mosquito fish can interbreed. From what I read on another website, the mosquito fish is one of the few species that can hybrid with a guppy.

The 5 gallon should be fine in the short term, but it wouldn't take long for it to be filled with guppies, paticularly if you plants or other hiding places for the babies. With the right conditions, the female can give birth about every 3 weeks, with a dozen or more fry each time. You could possibly put your females out in the pond and keep the males inside. That would also help keep the guppy population under control in your 5 gallon. If I may, here's a picture of the guppies I mentioned earlier. Water conditions are fine because the tank is rather thickly planted.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/br5...otofguppies.jpg

I started with 2 towards the end of June last year.

Yieee!!! They're courting like made, but then either the female swims away, or the Rasbora swims over to see what's going on. It's hilarious.

Although I do kind of feel sorry for the poor male. He goes off and sulks behind the plants until the female swims by again.

Oh, and I moved everyone into the 5 gallon, with an off-the-back style filter. I filled the uhm...whatchamacallit thing on the base of the tube...The sucky part of it has like this slotted attachment, well, I filled it with some polyester batting, just incase they spawn and then hopefully the babies won't get sucked up into it. It gentled the flow of the water too.

Lamp Eye? I don't have one. I have a Least Killifish, 2 Fancy Guppies, and 1 Harlequin Rasbora.

The Rasbora's are teeny, so I had 5 of them in the 5 gallon before I lost 4 of them.

The video was of all of them in the 2.5 gallon, but I have them all in the 5 gallon now. There's an external filter now, so they have all of the 5 gallons to swim around in.

I can't believe it. I spent about $15 on the fish the other day, and $0.94 on the cat the same day.

Archived