Pond Remodeling

Cocobid

Last summer I finally gave into the urge for a pond.

Bought a performed type the box indicated 48G, I strongly suspect that is completely wrong. I live in Texas & last summer was one of the hottest on record. Every 3 days I was adding 20G to it!!! I suspect it is around 80G+.

Sad long story, short version. :cry1:cry1

We live in a historic area of our city large trees and a HUGE Raccoon population. They have intruded the pond before and our fish have always made it. They have lots of things to hide in. I found the pond that morning in Jan. almost completely empty. The filter had been moved so the water had run outside of the pond. Our beautiful fish were gone.... I am still sick.

So onward to a Raccoon proof pond. :aint:

I need some help. It is about 5Ft long and 3ft wide with shelves and a large area 2' deep. I have room to add a raised water area above. It would rest on a raised bedding area. I have a box typed filter that always performed very well lots of media foam(2). Was thinking of a connecting piece to move the water. It has stone around the edges and built up around it. In the summer it is planted with Alocasias, a lily, papyrus. I anchor the plants with a rope around the pots pulled outside the pond under the rock. Just beautiful.

I was thinking in the main pond area, an intake tube pulling the water upwards to the pump housing in a new water area.

Space is an issue here so the are above could hold a 2X2-3 foot area.

I will try to get a Pic of last summer so you can see what I have to work with.

They were so healthy and happy. 2 comets & 1 Butterfly Koi gold~~~~~

I really like this forum I have not posted a lot----been to busy reading posts

Karen

I am interested too. I am considering building a small pond to house growing fry - I want about 500 gallons or so. But not only do we have 8547275824372 aggressive raccoons, we have heron, too.

Netting would not stop them for more than 5 minutes. I seriously think that hardware cloth, nailed to a heavy wooden frame that is wired to posts in the ground might be the only possibility. The filter, too, needs to be enclosed - for they pull all the hoses and everything out and chew on it. The pond could be pumped empty by morning. I cannot keep a dish of running water for the wild cats we have in the forest - the raccoons put it all apart and foul it with their muddy foul paws....

So - any ideas? I am interested in your plan, too!

A friend of mine has a pond back in the States. The company that built her pond suggested a small electric fence. She lives in a very heavily wooded area and says the charge doesn't kill the racoons but it does send them running in the other direction. She also said the company told her another way to avoid racoon problems is to have a pond that is 5 feet deep. To date no Racoon problems for her.

I am afraid that a pond deeper than about 24 inches is simply not condusive to the proper growth of ranchu/ryukin fry. I need to keep it big and shallow.

I have tried electric fences for the deer - and they go right through them. The raccoon sit on those fences and short them out and then go through them.

These are MONSTER raccoon - there are a couple that will follow my car into the garage in broad daylight and sit at the car door daring me to open it and get out! (Some STUPID neighbors fed them by hand when they were young - and now they think that all people will feed them. The neighbors moved - they could not stand the forest - and we are stuck with the "trained" raccoons! I have trapped a number and rehomed them, but there are a LOT of them!)

They are into everything - the house next door had a contingency on the sale - only if the raccoons that lived in the attic were removed and their access blocked. They tear screens off windows to get into a kitchen if there is food on the counters/tables. Every fall they clog dance on the roof over my bed. We have WAY too many raccoons. I throw icecubes at them. :glare:

Monster Raccoons :krazy::krazy:

Ok that's what we have.. Pet's they don't even run when you are by them. I will open the back door and they just stand there like "You are going to invite me in???"

I'm working on ideas I have thought about Stainless Steel mesh cloth. It is very strong and hopefully hold them. Does not rust. But the look of it I am not crazy about.

They did rip out the tubing to my filter & emptied the pond. I am considering layers of pond netting. Heavily securing into the ground. The more I look at it the more I think another basin above or next to the pond housing the filter. But one drawback to that is a spillway and securing that. I have to get on this pretty quick, mosquito season is fast upon us. I want a few comets. Oh I did a little research and it appears this pond is about 80 gallons. Adding an additional basin will add another 20G's or so really help with filtration.

Oh on a different note I found a UV unit that is sold for ponds that is clearanced at Lowes and was wondering if it could be used inside? It is like 75$ looks like a nice one.

So sorry My Mom broke her pelvis bone and life has been a little hectic lately. Did not mean to abandon this thread. I will be back more often.

Daryl sound like a nice pond. Oh one more Coon Complaint the front yard has sprinklers........they PLAY in the water like 4year olds. They love sprinklers.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am comptemplating a pond, and we have racoons and herons as well, I have a neighbor that put a large heron statue in the pond that discourages the herons because they already think there is a heron feeding, but I have no clue what he does about the racoons, I am thinking about making it a uniform rectangle shape, and creating a heavy frame of wood with hardware cloth just like you were thinking about Daryl to keep out the birds and the racoons. I am thinking that the hardware cloth frame will allow feeding and will only have to be moved for occassional pond maintence.

We were losing fish in our pond to coons, but then dad put some small holed chicken wire over it, and we haven't lost anymore.

Edit: It's just held down by two rocks on one side, the other side is all plants, so they hold it in there.

Archived