Egg Bound

Katalyst

So this morning one of my new fish layed eggs a few times, about a half an hour ago she was flipping and just unable to move much. She attempts to right herself, I have a heater in her tank. I read some eggbound threads and sure enough when I placed my hand around her extemely gently some eggs came out not many at all. Her belly is still extremely swollen but I didn't want to keep pressing on her for fear or organ damage.

Help!

Kat heating the tank to 80F is good, make sure there is alot of oxygen in the tank.

Treating the fish like it has dropsy is a good treatment. Maracyn 2 followed by Maracyn 1. And epsom salt. 1/8 tsp per 5 gallons of water is the dose for that.

I am on my way out the door, hopefully you can get things started. I may not be back on tonight, but will check tomorrow.

Hope things turn around for you, this can be heartbreaking.

Thanks Laurie...

I had the temp up to about 78, had added the epsom salts and more eggs came. She seemed much better I waited around for a bit and she was swimming around well enough. Ran out for maracyn's and when I returned she was gone.

Thank you for your help...

:cry1 Kate,I'm really sorry that you lost your girl. :heart I've recently lost a few due to the same thing,and it's gotten me to where I wish I didn't have any girls. :( It's so frightning,and it happens so fast. I'm sorry Hun. :heart

Thanks Nenn it was my first experience with a fish carrying eggs she was the prettiest little thing red and white oranda with a wen that looked like a cherry.

Thanks as well Devs you were so good to help to me yesterday with my other little guy.

Anette it was a new fish that I hadn't even posted photo's of yet. I bought two new fish this week, one seems to have flukes but hopefully today I'll have praziquantel in my hands to fix it.

Laurie as always you are such a big help, I can't thank you or this site enough.

I did save her eggs which I don't even have the heart to look at right now but I am hoping they were fertilized but I was pretty sure both fish were females. I guess time will tell.

Again many thanks guys.

Kat you are welcome, it is always a pleasure to help. I wish it would've turned out different.

Oh I so hope you get some fry, that would maybe ease the pain a bit. Keep us posted. If you do, I am sure that the others can lead you thru raising them. I don't have that knowledge, but love to hear about it.

Archived