Sign in to follow this  
Guest olive.oyl

How Long Does Pro-gold Last After You Open The Package?

Guest olive.oyl

I just got the 2 lb bag. Awesome. But there's no expiration date on it. I was wondering 1) How long it would last if it remained unopened, and stored in a cool dry place? and 2) How long would it last once opened, but also stored in a cool dry place?

Hi Olive! I believe Progold stays fresh for at least six months once opened. :)

Do you have any sort of food sealer type thing? Something like this? If you do then you can divide that huge package into smaller portions and seal them up so the food will keep longer.

:rofl Exactly my suggestion - I break all my food up into packets and seal them down.

The best thing you can do, though, sealer or not, is to break the food into portions. That way, the portion that you are working from - constantly opening and closing and sticking your fingers into it and all - is a small portion of the whole. Take the rest and put it into portioned ziplock freezer bags. You can even take a straw and squeeze/suck the majority of the air out of the baggy as you close it. Then put the food in a cool spot (not refrigerator) where it can stay "dark", cool, and dry. Open each packet as you need to replenish your daily food receptacle.

:)

Guest olive.oyl

6 months? I will never use my 2 pound bag in 6 months! I only have 4 GF.I guess I should order the smaller size next time.

Haha, exactly what I was thinking! I have 4 fish too.

Also, thanks for the portion and sealing tips!

Edited by olive.oyl