Hikari Lionhead + My Lionhead = Sb Problems...

Within_A_Reverie

Ok. Hikari Lionhead pellets are suppose to be good for fish(helping with wen growth, color etc.), but ironicly, its been causing my lionhead swim bladder problems. Ofcourse I pre-soaked the pellets and tried the peas and anti-bacterial food thing and my water chemistry is fine, but the only thing that leads to sb problems are those pellets. When I wake up in the morning, I find my lionhead swimming around normally until I feed it those pellets. Are there any alternatives to help wen growth without leading to sbd other than live food?

Yep there are loads of alternatives!

Although there are obviously differences in the commerial prepared foods that you can buy for fish, if you buy fairly high end stuff then there shouldnt be that big a difference in the quality of the nutrients in the food.

Have you ever fed him any other kind of fish food?

If your looking for high protein food you could always make your own so that you know exactly what your fish are getting. A search on this site or even through google for 'gel food wen growth' will show you how you can do that.

I have a fish that has floating problems with any pelleted food. So I simply take the pellets and other foods I wish her to have and put them into her gel food. She gets gel food at every meal.

I have gel food that is just veggies.

I have gel food that is high in protien - bloodworms, fish flakes, etc.

I have gel food that is a combination of every food sample and left over crumb and dust of the "good stuff" that is in the bottom of the jar when the pellets are gone. All that food goes in and is readily eaten. With the gel construction the fish does not get floaty.

I'll give the gel food a try. But one thing that always perplexes me is where I can find vitamin powder and what kind exactly :unsure: . Is it something I can find at a drug store or in a grocery store? I've never came across any. Any suggestions of what brand if there are tons of them?

I do not use vitamin powder in my gel foods. I just use fresh veggies and such, including high quality goldfish food that the fish would normally eat. They thrive on the pelleted diet, right? You are simply putting it into a form that the fish can eat and tolerate. ALl the vitamins are included already. Soak those Hikari Lionhead pellets up, whir them up in the blender with the veggies and gel the batch.

If you wish to make a gel food that does NOT include commercially made goldfish food, you can generally find liquid vitamin drops at a health store. Look for children's vitamins. :)

I do not use vitamin powder in my gel foods. I just use fresh veggies and such, including high quality

If you wish to make a gel food that does NOT include commercially made goldfish food, you can generally find liquid vitamin drops at a health store. Look for children's vitamins. :)

Ok. Children's vitamins.........you mean like those kind shaped like animals or w/e, or liquid vitamins for children?

Archived