Is He Sick?

Carmel

Hello, I got a new tank about a month or so ago and I wanted to cycle it but didn't really have the supplies (ammonia). So I put 2 of my goldies in there to start the cycle. Once the ammonia was up I put the goldies back into their old tank. The tank was cycling for about a month in a temp. of 80F. The ammonia went up, then the Nitrite went up to a little over 0.50 at its highest. And 3 days ago everything was zeroed out. But the pH was little more than 7.6 so I changed the water yesterday and then today I put the goldies into the new, cycled, tank. But for some reason my oranda is coming up for air once in a while. He goes up.. gulps some air which sometimes leaks out of his gills and then goes down hang out for a minute but comes back up for more air. I have a lionhead in there with him and she seems to be fine and stay under the water all day. I know I'm panicing a little too early but I lost 3 fishes to SBD and is in fear of it. I've been feeding the goldies peas for 3 day after fasting because they were a little constipated. But now they are fine. Please tell me these aren't sympthoms of SBD or anything else..

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 15

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.2

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.0

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 30 gallons running for little over a month

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Whisper power filter 30

How often do you change the water and how much? 25% once every week

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fishes. both about 2 inches

What kind of water additives or conditioners? none. little bit of salt to reduce the stress of the move

Any medications added to the tank? none

Add any new fish to the tank? just those two

What do you feed your fish? soaked flakes, peas (fed them for last 3 days), hikari oranda pellets (soaked), and soaked goldfish crisps.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nope

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? just gulping air once in a while

Hey Carmel,

Gulping air after they eat I dont think is any real cause for concern. I think its believed to be an aid to digestion and or an attempt to clear their gills of food particles which is why it may be worse after feeding messy foods where you can see the little bits of particulate matter coming out of their gills as they chew it (peas if they are well cooked will be quite messy) or foods that are higher in protein and require more effort to digest.

As for the other possible causes, flukes are often cited as a cause for air gulping. If you suspect flukes you could treat them with prazi and that would rule that out.

The fact your water however isnt perfect at the minute however is the most likely cause I think, given the effect nitrite can have on the gills.

If I was in your position id hold off any kind of treatment and keep doing those water changes frequently to try and keep it as non toxic as possible(when I was cycling id sometimes do two water changes a day). It may also be worth considering the addition of salt at therapeutic levels to protect the fish from nitrite though someone else would need to advise you on that as ive never done it personally.

It would also be worth getting a kH test so that you can monitor your water's buffering capacity which will help you in keeping your pH stable.

thanks for all your replies.

i am not using any water conditioners because I ran out but I will be getting some hopefully soon. I leave the water out for at least 2 days hopefully that will help. My water source is filtered tap water.

I dont know if its the flukes.. I dont see any signs of irritation. But I will keep a careful watch on them.

I actually think he still might be constipated because he had some air bubbles in his poop and even though poop was green the ends of them were clear and thin.. can this be bacterial infection perhaps?

Its actually more likely to be a digestive problem than anything. If your seeing even partially digested food in the poop then I think its less likely to be bacterial.

What I would do is feed exclusively green foods for a couple of days. Not just peas but a bit of cucumber, lettuce. Any live plants they could munch on? Some fish just have a really hard time digesting commercial foods. Some cant tolerate them at all. The air gulping and offending food then leads to excess gas in the GI tract affecting the vascular mechanism that goldies use to control their swimbladder and subsequently the problems we all refer to as SBD. If that cures things then you can start looking into permanent diet modification.

If the gulping doesnt stop with the increased dietry fibre then think of treating for a bacterial infection. My own fish used to gulp loads of air, yet everything was fine water wise etc... A round of metromeds stopped that in its tracks almost immediately so whilst ive not seen gulping indicated in other peoples experience of bacterial infections, the antibiotics cured my own fish of it. It is also worth considering though that metromeds have a anti parasitic effect too so who knows what it was in my case.

My fish occasionally do this too. Poop with bubbles can mean indigestion problems sometimes caused by overeating, and as Yazoo says feeding peas for a few days or fasting a day may help. It can also be re-absorbed eggs.

It is unlikely to be a parasite however as these are introduced to a tank via a new live creature/plant and are unlikely to exist in an established tank set up for some months which I'm presuming your tank is.

Also maybe check your tank pH again . Even small fluctuations (with many frequent recent water changes) may have lowered the pH and these can cause this kind of behavior. Also as Devs says any remaining chlorine in added water will cause sudden flashing/gulping too.

After eliminating all other possible issues it would seem so :) I wouldn't say usually, but occasionally it might be that they do. The long clear poop with bubbles in it that Carmel speaks of is typically egg re-absorption and can be stressful for the fish. I have had my black moor bothered by this and soon as shes got rid of the eggs she will stop gulping. But Carmel should keep watching her fish and see if anything else develops.

I would still make an attempt to get a water conditioner as soon as you can. Letting water sit overnite a day or two,usually allows the Chlorine to dissipate out of the water. The problem here is that more and more Water Co.'s are using Chloramines as they are more stable and won't dissipate as fast as the Chlorine does.If that's the case and your Local water Co. uses them,then it could take up to weeks for those Chloramines to dissipate.Chloramines are made of Chlorine and Ammonia--which can be toxic to your fish.Using untreated water may not seem to be a problem for your fish right now, but that doesn't mean that the chlorine or chloramine isn't doing some minor damage to your fish, and Over time, this could kill them. :(

If you're doing water changes to remove toxins,only to be adding water that contains Chlorine and Ammonia,then you're really defeating the whole purpose of the water changes.

A good water conditioner is one that says it removes Chlorine/Chloramines,and Heavy Metals. :)

I do use water conditioners, it's just that I ran out of them. I will be getting one either today or tomorrow. Thanks again for the replies.

The oranda seemed really tired from laying all the eggs yesterday. She was sleeping for most of the day. But other than that she seems fine. =)

:) I know hun,but sometimes people don't realize the importance of water Conditioners and how much damage it can cause to your fish in the long run. You should never be at a point where you run out. By posting this,I am letting people know. ;)

Glad to hear that all is okay in fishy land. :)

Archived