Is Is Fungus ? (pic)

Guest aneng

Hi,

One of my goldies has developed an odd growth on her head behind and above the eye. It looks pinky / orangey and sort of fluffy, but not cottony.... More like a scab that has got wet. I don't know what to treat her with..... any ideas what this might be ? Water quality is good, ph, ammonia, nitrites all spot on, nitrates have been a bit high historically. She shows no signs of distress at all and is eating well. I've taken the salt content to 3% as a start.

The guy in the fish store said it could be bacterial, but he hadn't seen the fish and sold me an anti-bacterial, but I'm not so sure. So I thought I'd ask here before I treat with the wrong stuff.

What do you think ?

Cheers,

Kev.

DSCF0042.JPG

:) Hi aneng,and welcome to Koko's by the way.

If you could possibly try and answer the questions above,that would give us a bigger clue as to where to begin on this diagnosis,Often times what people think are perfect params,are more often not,so it's best to post actual #'s just to be on the safe side. :) Also,more info on tank/filter size and your water changes/maintainance on the tank would be helpful.Post soon. :) How long has this tank been up and running,and how long has the Nitrates been high,and how high? Post soon. :)

Ammonia Level = 0

Nitrite Level = 0

Nitrate level = 50 ppm

Ph Level = 7.8

Ph Level out of the Tap = 7.8

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running = 37 Gals, four years.

What is the name and size of the filter/s = Eheim 2013 Classic

How often do you change the water and how much = 1/3 Weekly

How many fish in the tank and their size = 2 fish, total length < 10 inches (not counting tails)

What kind of water additives or conditioners = none, but recently added tonic salt to 3%

Any medications added to the tank = no

Add any new fish to the tank = no

What do you feed your fish = twice daily

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt" bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus = = no, just the illness I'm querying.

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? = none. Fish behaving normally.

Do you think this looks like a fungal infection ?

Sorry aneng,with as many people that post,a thread can sometimes fall down the list and get lost.Anytime that you see one not being answered just bump it so that it comes back up. :)

Your params are good,however an ideal place for Nitrates would be under 20 ppms,so you may want to increase your water change amounts so that you can get the Nitrates lowered. :)

As for the growth,I'm afraid that I can't tell by looking at the pic.Can you try to maybe get a different angle of it?

Is this growth flat against the skin,or is it a rounded mass? Is the pink looking part reminding you of the color of watered down blood?

I'll try to get a better photo later today, but meantime, the growth is a rounded mass - not flat against the skin. Colour-wise - it's just orangey-pink, but I wouldn't say it resembled watered down blood. More like a spongy mass.

The pink color is what concerns me here. :unsure: Sometimes Goldies do occasionly show up with tumors/cysts/masses,etc Sometimes it's viral and poor water quality,and once you fix that,the smaller ones seem to fade away. Other times,it could be something bacterial under the skin.Being that your fish is orange,I'm a little worried that this may be bacterial and need an Antibiotic treatment.

I don't know if this helps :-

DSCF0099.JPG

It's very difficult to get a pic that shows the lump clearly.

It *looks* like a fungussy kind of texture, but isn't a white cottony thing.

If it's any help, the other fish in the tank has always had white lumps in his tail - I just presumed they were just a normal thing. I believe I posted here a while back asking about this. Anyway, I dosed the tank with Pimafix for two days (it was all I had left in the bottle) and noticed that the lumps had gone. I can't say for certain that the lumps vanished after the Pimafix treatment - it could have been that I was just paying more attention to the fish at that time, but I'm wondering if there could be a link with the growth on the other fish ?

I have an "Anti Internal Bacterial" here, but I haven't treated the tank yet as I'm unsure if what I ought to be doing is trying a full course of an anti-fungal first. I don't want to go mad and pollute the tank with lots of different treatments ! :-)

Is that pic any better ?

Guest aneng

Well, I went back to the store as I wasn't sure it was bacterial, intending to change the unopened meds to an anti-fungal. I showed the guy at the store some pics and he said he thought it was bacterial and I should use what I already had. It's now just over 5 days into the treatment (added the second dose yesterday) and nothing seems to be changing. The growth *seems* a slightly lighter colour, but I could be wrong. It remains the same size and is showing no signs of going though.

Is 5 days too short a time to expect results ?

What is happening though is that the ammonia is beginning to increase - it's between 0.8 and 1.5 at the moment, where it's traditionally been zero. This, I think is a combination of the 90% water change I had to do when I moved house last week and possibly the anti-bacterial meds maybe hitting the filter as well. I'm testing daily so it won't go out of control. I suspect that I may have to do a partial water change tomorrow though, effectively reducing the level of the meds, but I have to keep the ammonia and nitrates down as they are moving into the 'not so good' area right now.

I'm still not convinced these are the right meds to use.

Aneng, especially bacterial things will need more than 5 days to show any signs of improvement. So, hang in there, and wait it out some more.

One thing for sure, it doesn't look fungal to me. Do I see two different masses, one a bit bigger and more to the front, and another one smaller, more to the right, and just where the head meets the body? Can you check out what exact medication is in the bottle? It should say it in the ingredients list. Not all antibacterial meds are equal - some are milder, some are stronger. :)

Guest aneng

Thanks for the reply. There are two growths, one very small where the head meets the body, (in the last photo it's just above the top right corner of the big growth). She doesn't show any signs of distress and is behaving normally. I've cut back on the feeding to try to reduce the ammonia increase. It's fractionally lower today, so at least the filter is beginning to recover. I may have to change some water on Sunday though - I think the nitrates will be too high by then.

As for the meds - I'm using "Interpet Aquarium Treatment #9 - Anti Internal Bacteria." The bottle says it contains Formaldehyde and Methanol, but no other details. It says it's for the treatment of "Pseudomonas, Aeromonas, Vibrio bacteria sp."

Guest aneng

Well, after a week of treatment on the anti-bacterial, the growth has not changed at all - not even a little.

I think it's time to reconsider the meds situation - if I can get some idea of what the growth is. The tank is still salted at 3 grams/litre, but I'm going to drop that down today by doing a 50% change without salt.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this might be ?

Archived