Angelfish & Goldfish

d_golem

In a recent thread there was someone asking about the compatability of angelfish and goldfish. The general consensus seems to be that it's not such a wise idea to mix angels with gf.

However, if anybody remembers my trip about a year ago to a gf farm in Indonesia, they actually put a few angelfish in their gf ponds. The reason? They told me that angelfish eats fish lice and and anchor worm.

Now I think because Indonesia has very stable warm tropical temperature, it's viable to put gf and angelfish together. For us in 4-season countries where the gf is not used to living in tropical temperature, gf and angelfish together is not such a good idea.

Just pointing out that angelfish and gf can and does live together.

angels naturally are territorial(Cichlid family), so it is still not a very wise idea to put them with peaceful gf, for the fact that the farms mixed both gf and angels together may be because they have enough space.

However it is also known that most such aggressive behavior most likely only happens on bigger angels, so if you really still want to add one, add them at a young age.

I had my goldfish in with an adult angel all the time. The angelfish doesn't really do them any serious harm since it doesn't think they're a threat.

It did attack some of my fish which had become debilitated with dropsy or serious bacterial infections when they began to become lethargic.

I still don't think it's the best match myself,and I'm only going by my own experiences with my Angelfish.I've lost track on how many years I've had them,I 'd say at least 4,but my Angels love much warmer temps.Their tank also has driftwood in it which pulls the ph much closer down to the lower range of "safe" for a goldfish.Although I have a pretty strong filter on their tank,they always try to avoid that area as they seem to prefer much calmer conditions. My Angelfish have attempted to kill everything else I've tried to put in the tank with them,to a point where I had to remove them.They've always been very nippy fish.They seem to tolerate the Pleco's,but they'll even go after them if they're in the mating mode. :rolleyes:

I personally feel that in general,most tanks should not house them both,as they both require a lot of space and different needs. Of course this is my own experiences and opinion. :)

Archived