Water Changes

jessica

Hi. I know this is probably really bad but I don't have any test kits. I just set up a 35 gallon tank with an aquaclear 300 on it. I took a sponge out of my aquaclear 200 and put it into the 300 with the other media. I put a blue oranda and a black lionhead in the tank. They're each about 2 inches including their tail. I know it's hard to tell without test kits, but could anyone tell me how often and how much I would have to change the water so the fish can be healthy while the tank cycles. I change half of my 25 gallon every week but I know it is different because it's been running for a year. Maybe I should put more media in from my other tank. Thanks for any suggestions. Jessica

The only way to know for sure when you need to change your water in a cycling tank is to get the test kits.

When I was cycling my tank I ended up having to do at least 50% daily water changes, but I was overstocked.

I'd recommend getting some prime if you can, as well as some aquarium salt.

Salt up to 0.1% (one teaspoon per gallon of water). Dissolve the salt in the water before adding it to the tank.

Every time you do a water change, you need to add the appropriate amount of salt to your new water to bring it up to 0.1%. Also, dose all your new water with Prime (1ml per 10 gallons).

One problem you are going to run into is that your water out of your tap may be drastically different in PH than the water in your tank. It is really important to have the PH of your new water match the PH of your tank.

I would seriously recommend getting a testing kit, and if you can't, then do 50% daily water changes... but you won't know when your tank is done cycling so you can stop doing the daily water changes.

But I've only cycled one tank, so someone else might know more.

Thanks for the advice. My tap water and tank water are the same ph. That's the only test I have. I was just hoping someone might have a general idea of how long it might take the two fish to rise the ammonia to an unsafe level. The master test kits at the lps are so expensive. I guess I might have to buy one anyway. Thanks. Jessica

Do you have a vvvv? You can print off the page for the API master test kit ($13.49) and bring it into the store and they will match the price for you. You'll be able to test your pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates with that test kit. If you don't have a vvvv, you can order it online and it will probably still be cheaper than in the stores. Good luck!!

If it is easier on your budget to buy the kits separately, buy the ammonia test kit first. Then buy the nitrite and later the nitrate. Those are the ones you will need for cycling, and you already have the ph test kit.

I don't know whether you ever order supplies online, but I order a lot from Mail Order Pet Supplies (MOPS). They are located in Canada and ship to both Canada and the U.S. I buy most of my supplies from them and have done for several years. They give excellent service. They also sell Goldfish Connection products, including ProGold.

Here is a page with master test kits, so you can compare prices with the stores.

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/us...e753+1172159900

They also sell Aquarium Phamacueticals kits separately. The ammonia kit is $7.99 Cdn and the nitrite is $6.99, just to give you an idea. To ship to me in Ontario, it is $6.95, but I have found that it doesn't take too much of an order to make up the $6.95 and then save money.

Just an idea. The vvvv idea is a good one, too. I have never tried having them match prices on their online store.

You may find that your tank cycles very quickly using the already cycled sponge.

You could also take a sample of your water to an aquarium shop or larger pet store. A lot of them test for free. You may find that your tank is cycled.

Archived