Ryukin Or Fantail?

kelz0429

According to my lfs and my better judgment at the time I purchased Ace, he was a young Ryukin (between 2 and 3 inches). I am now starting to doubt that. I know that Ryukin develop their hump as they mature, but shouldn't it be a bit more pronounced by now? These are the best pictures I have been able to take so far--my camera is not cooperating with me at all tonight. Sorry the view is not more direct.

DSC02132.jpg

DSC02114.jpg

I'd say fantail too, how big is this fish now? Could always have been spawned by a ryukin and therefore sold as one, but the father could easily be a fantail (or the store suppliers may just not know the difference, I know my suppliers haven't got a clue!). Very pretty markings though, should be a very nice-looking adult.

Looks like a fantail to me, but I'm not a very good judge.

RE: petstores being wrong... I got my fantail sold to me as an oranda. She's a wonderful fantail, but not at all an oranda. I've never seen that store selling fantails marked as fantails, they are always marked as orandas. They do however get orandas and mark them properly.

Well, looks like the jury is hung on this one, lol.

Ace is only about 2.5 inches right now. His body is short and deep, but his hump has not begun to develop (as far as I can tell). He looks just like the Google picture of the Ryukin that fishcrazy101 posted.

Honestly, I would be surprised if the fish store I bought him from turned out to be wrong...they are the #1 fish store pretty much in NC, Tropical Fish World. But we all make mistakes!

Thanks for your replies. Anyone else want to ring in?

d_golem didn't get the goldfish knowledge award without a good reason :) I agree with him & the majority vote.

Your fish is very pretty.

Thank you all!

I think he is very pretty as well. You can barely tell from these pictures, but the upper portion of his mouth (basically, his upper lip) is covered by a red stripe, giving him the appearance of having a mustache--very cute. That is the reason I will forever insist that Ace is male! ;)

Ace is only about 2.5 inches right now. His body is short and deep, but his hump has not begun to develop (as far as I can tell). He looks just like the Google picture of the Ryukin that fishcrazy101 posted.

Frankly, the googled picture of a ryukin looks like a fantail too

Guest fishcrazy101

Frankly, the googled picture of a ryukin looks like a fantail too

well i think know it looks more like a fantail i think :hummm :

Archived