Using Sand For The Plants.

Guest portie

I was wondering if anyone could help, I was told that you can use sand in tanks mixed with the rocks to help plants roots have something to hold onto better than rocks. It seems everytime I put plants in my tank within 24 hours my goldies have ripped them up. :krazy: So Im off to buy some more this arvo & was thinking of this idea but is there specific sand that needs to be used? As I dont want to make my goldies sick :unsure: .

Any help on this would be great.. Oh & I hope I posted this in the right place..

icey

Maybe if you put the sand down, then a layer of gravel on top of that?

Altho, if they're ripping them up, maybe tying them to like driftwood or something would be better.

Portie,

Hi there I have both of my tanks planted the small one more than the larger one. I have a shipment of plants for the 55G on the way. I have similar problems with the digging up. I read a thread on a forum that suggested this and it really sounds like a good idea. I will be using it when the shipment arrives.

Here is how it was described

1. Take a plastic lid cover make a small X in the center and insert the root mass.

2. Place in the soil or rock and cover. This gives a broader area to hold the plant down & still allows the roots to grow.

On the subject of GF digging up the cups that larger plants come in, well I will try something similar with the cup attached. Remember some of the cups contain soil, others just a medium. Some of our plants are grown completely hydroponically and others with a soil based method.

Hope this helps

Karen

Hi, yes that does like a good idea, Im thinking when I clean my tank next I might get a bit of river sand, cleaned of course. Put some under the gravel & hopefully that might work also, but I am going to try the lid thing now, I brought new plants yesterday & yes 2 of them are floating now :krazy:

Tah

Angie

Yes, you can use sand, but not sea sand, as this has crushed up coral and shells in it and can alter your water solute levels dramatically, (pH and carbonate hardness) you'll need to get river sand and wash it very thoroughly, sometimes some LFS have sand available which is suitable for freshwater fish... and yes, it's a good idea to mix it with rocks, as in some cases, if the sand is fine, it can compact down and develop areas of anaerobic bacteria activity which can produce toxins that are bad for your fish. the rock can keep if from compacting too much. -perhaps consider using sand and rocks only in terracotta planters, this reduces the amount of sand you'd need to use, and makes for easier cleaning of the tank (I've found that sand gets sucked up with the gravel filter as easy as water! can make for a frustrating time when you're cleaning.)

Oh ok well I might leave the sand idea, but I love the teracotta pots idea, I didnt relise you could put them in a fish tank. Are they ones you would buy from a pet shop or just any average teracotta pot do? as long as its clean...

Thanks

Angie

There are many other substrates you can use besides sand. Sand makes a great accent or full substrate, but mixing it isn't common unless you can get it for cheap to increase the amount of substrate you have and then it is normally used only as bottom layer.

Don't terracotta pots have to be sealed? I'm unsure.

I think the plastic lid cover is a pretty good idea. anyway, amazingly my goldfishes don't like to rip plants out :blink: even those without roots! :D so I was really happy about it. Just thought of sharing this even though I know it is a little off topic :D

Nah, terracotta pots don't need to be sealed, unless you want them to actually carry water. I had terracotta pots in one of my tanks for years with no problems with the fish or water quality. Yeah, just macke sure you give them a good soak before sticking them in with your goldies! :)

Archived