We All Know Goldfish Lose Their Black, But...

IloveSpaceboy

Over the past few months Mars (my 3" fantail) has been turning more and more bright orange. Well the part of him that was always orange is now turning a light orange, like it's turning to white. Yet, his tail, petoral and dorsal fins are all keeping the same bright orange that they had gained over the past few months.

They are being exposed to sunlight during the day and I'll occasionally have the light on at night. They have been getting the same food with some veggies as a treat and algae wafers.

So, I guess what I'm asking is is Mars going to turn white on me? It's been pretty noticeable over the past week, it's a quick change. My water params are really good... Has this happened to anyone else?

It wouldn't bother me if he did, I just want to make sure he's all right.

sure it happens, specially if his diet is lacking in carotenoids.

Don't worry, if he's still getting basic necessary vitamins and minerals in his diet, he'll be okay... carotene is just an assimilable pigment anyway.

My common was a peach color but his back and part of his sides have turned pale. He's been this way for months now but looks and acts fine otherwise, so ???? I think it looks kinda cool but I watch him pretty close to make sure he stays in good health.

Link below is pic of him showing his pale back.

One of my sarasa's was yellow and red when I rescued him. He had such an orangy red splotch on his head that I named his Gorbachev. :ignore He is completely white now with the smallest little speck of red left in his tail and on his lips. So yep it can happen.

I've got a common that has lost a lot of her orange in the past year. She was about 80% orange, 20% white...now shes about 40% orange, 60% white.

Archived