Wens And Breeding Stars

SnBMeg

This question was inspired by my little blue Oranda (currently about 2.5" w/o tail), who I've had for around 6 months now. He's definitely mature enough to breed, and has been showing behaviors for months. However, he's never shown any sign of breeding stars on his face/head, although I think he may have them along the front of his pectoral fins. (On the other hand, my Ryukin has had his since the first time he got them many months ago, and they've never disappeared. :P )

He's got a fairly small/compact wen, but it extends over his entire head--it makes his cheeks look really poofy and adorable. :3

So what I'm wondering is: can a wen hide breeding stars? Or does my fishy just deviate a bit from the norm?

I have not ever seen the tubercles on the gill plates of a wenned fish. They are, however, very apparent on the front fins - as you have noted. :)

My oranda had breeding stars on his gill plates and once his wen started to grow out I can't see them anymore, but they are still on his pectoral fins, so I would say I beleive it would be very possible

well, my Gilbert (new fish - yay!) is 2 1/2 years old, about 3 1/2 inches long in the body, and has breeding stars on his gill plates and his pectoral fins. There's only three or four on each gill plate, they're much more visible on the pectoral fins, but they're there. He does have a wen, but not nearly as big as some I've seen.

Archived