Nitrite Off The Charts!

Chrissy_Bee

I was doing a routine water change today and tested my water (I typically do it once a week). My nitrite test is supposed to take 2 minutes to develop a pink color and it turned BRIGHT pink instantly, I don't know what's happened but my levels are literally off the charts! :krazy: Here's more info....

ammonia 0

nitrite ... incredibly high!!!

nitrate my replacement test kit is in the mail,so I don't know it right now :-(

Ph in tank 6.5

Ph out of tap 6.5-7.0

30 gallon tank

Penguine biowheel filter (not sure of the size, it's made for 30-40 gallons, it's been running for about 6 weeks now. I added established filter media when I got it and the biowheel appears to have some build up)

I do a 25% water change every 4 days (and vaccum the gravel)

a lionhead and an oranda, both their bodies are about the size of large eggs

I use Aquasol water conditioner/chlorine remover

I feed them Hikari Gold and Omega One sinking pellets

During the past week I have noticed my oranda sitting in the corner, but the lionhead is very active and appears normal

I changed 50% of the water right away and added a little melafix, we're just digging out from a HUGE blizzard but I am going to try to get some aquarium salt this evening, as I've read it helps aleviate the stress from high nitrites. This is very sudden. The only thing I can think of is I removed the extra filter which was running on the tank (an aquaclear mini) for a hospital tank, maybe that caused the cycle to crash. Any other suggestions would be great, thanks.

Chrissy

The test kit might not be good anymore. I kept one around for awhile once and then it started giving me crazy numbers and sent me into a panic. I got a new one and realized that it was just the kit.

The test kit might not be good anymore. I kept one around for awhile once and then it started giving me crazy numbers and sent me into a panic. I got a new one and realized that it was just the kit.

I just had a similar thing happen to me with my ammonia test kit. Like MyGoldfishIsLumpy when I retested with a new kit all of my params were fine. Hoping the same thing has happened to you, look on the back of the bottle (if its an API) and there should be a date.

I've had similar experiences when taking extra filters off of a tank.I guess the solo filter just couldn't handle the extra work of keeping it all in check. For a 30 gal.,you want at least a Penguin 330 which houses two bio wheels,

Your ph borders quite close on ph crash area also,so you may want to look into using crushed coral shells in your filter box to help keep that ph stronger.

Have you retested since the water change?

Close on a pH crash hey? Yikes. My sister just shakes her head at me and said she doesn't know where I get the patience to keep goldfish...but I :heart them, even when they're difficult!

I'm going to retest in a little while and I'll update then. Unfortunatly the malls are remaining closed here for the day so I can't salt, but I'll get that done in the morning.

Chrissy

Here's an update on my tank.

I did massive water changes for the past few days and added salt. Last night I also decided to put the second filter back on and put my moore back in the tank (from his hospital tank). I figured if the meds haven't helped him after 2 weeks he's just as well to be with his little fish family. Besides, I don't think his hospital tank was getting enough filtration, so one tank with both filters seems like the best option. I'm going to moniter the perams like crazy and make sure everything stays pristine for them all. ..wish me luck!!

Chrissy

Thanks for asking, things seem really good, I'm so happy :D

Last night when I checked, George was swimming much better. He's still floating, but it seems easier for him to get around now. Also, my oranda is more active..maybe the family just needed reuniting :heart

As for the perams, the nitrites were lower last I checked. I'm not home now, but I'm going to check them and do a water change this afternoon. I'm hoping the addition of the other filter will get things under contril.

Chrissy

:) Glad to hear that George is doing somewhat better. Starting out always seems so complicated,but once you get everything where it needs to be,it does get easier. :)

Keep working on lowering those Nitrites,and hopefully you'll get the Nitrate test soon. :D

Archived