An Interesting Morning At Work

Kimma

What an interesting morning. At my regular daytime job we have a nice lady that comes in and does Speech Therapy with our residents. She borrows my computer to type up her reports with. We got to talking one day about how I keep fish and she told me about her tropicals and how they are reproducing like crazy. Well, today we broght me 8 in a Zip Lock bag! I did tell her I would like to have some, so it wasn't a huge shock, I am just not prepared. So, they have been sitting on my desk in a ziplock until about 10 minutes ago when I put them in a rubbermaid container on my kitchen counter until my husband get home and sets up the 10 gallon tank. The human resources lady wanted to know why I brought my fish to work with me. :rofl They are cute though. I am not 100% sure what kind they are but she told me they are Platys. The are a firey orange color with black dorsal fins and tails. I hope they are OK until my husband gets home at 4. I don't have any tropical fish food either. Just goldifish flakes and chiclid pellets. Would the goldifsh flakes be OK for them to eat?

Anyway, its been an interesting morning!

I feed (er...fed) my Rasboras a mix of the goldfish and tropical flakes that came with the tank. They didn't seem to mind too much. I think they have the same ingredients, just different colors.

Here are some pics in their new digs. We don't have any gravel yet, but I am planning on getting some on my lunch hour tomorrow. They are sweet little fish and quick!

100_0516.jpg

100_0515.jpg

100_0513.jpg

And this one is Carrot (Seth named him) He's the smallest one that we got.

100_0526.jpg

Yes, it was very nice of her to bring me some fish. I was a little taken a back when they first got there. I wasn't sure if they would be all right sitting on my desk in a zip lock bad untill lunch. It gave everyone something to talk about today though!

EDIT-Is there anything special I need to do for them? What kind of environment do they like? Do they like places to hide? And can I add more fish?

Very pretty platies! Goldfish flakes are fine for them for now; the average goldie flake has more roughage and less protein than a tropical flake, so you don't want to make it a permanent staple, but it won't hurt them in the short run :D . They usually do great anywhere between 72 and 80 degrees, really not picky fish. They are excellent tank mates for most tetras, guppies, rasboras, and smaller danios, but I wouldn't add much more in a ten as they'll get about 1.5-2 inches in length. Congrats on the new additions!

I have 3 platies in with my little goldfish and they all eat gf flakes bloodworms and peas. I don't have a heater in the tank but room temp is about 72-75 F and they are doing great. All very lively with good appetites and no picking on each other. You will love your platies--they are peaceful and cute!

I love them all ready! They are so cute and active. The only other fish we have right now is an Oscar and I get tired of watching him pout!

Carrot hides under the rock a lot, but I guess that's because he's the smallest. I think I have 5 males and 3 females from what I can tell. I found a site that says you can sex them by the shape of their anal fins. I don't know how accurate this information is or how well I can actaully tell.

One more quetion: How can you tell when one is pregnant?

The lady I got them from, her's breed like crazy, that's why she brought me some she had run out of room.

Archived