New Fish! But He's Bullying!

autisticfish

I got the most BEAUTIFUL fish today. I hadn't planned on it, but when I saw him, I absolutely had to take him home. He's a big male chocolate oranda, body about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long, and the most gorgeous flowing fins. He was in a tank in my local petstore that was very heavily planted, but poorly aerated. He was in the tank with a smaller celestial, and a few tiny little crown pearlscales. In the petstore tank he looked miserable - lots of gasping, and very lethargic. He wasn't bothering the other fish at all.

When I got him home and started acclimating him, he perked right up. By the time I released him into the tank he was obviously feeling much better, swimming actively, gasping stopped, etc. Initially, he ignored my other two fancies, Nemo (a small female oranda who's less than 3" long with fins), and Baloo (a tiny crown pearlscale, the same size as the big choco boy was in with - about an inch long). However, after I fed them all tonight he seems to have gotten quite territorial over the front part of the tank, chasing the other two whenever they venture out there.

The tank is a 28G bowfront. For decoration/landscaping I have gravel, a small ship, a fake hollow log with silk plants coming out of it, a couple of small-medium silk plants on the left by the big in-tank filter, and a very large silk plant on the right by the HOB filter I just added today (I figured if I was adding a fish I should add a filter - I'm now at 280gph filtration).

"Gilbert" as I've named him (my son named the other two) seems a bit mellower when the light is off. Is this chasy behaviour likely to die down overnight? If it doesn't, is there anything I can do to discourage it? When I used to work in a petstore, I used to rearrange the tank decor in tanks with territorial fish (cichlids, barbs, some tetras) when adding new fish, so I'm tempted to try that, however, Gilbert is the new fish, so I'm surprised he's being territorial? Should I add more plants for Nemo and Baloo to hide in? Should I get one of those little breeder things that hang inside the tank and put Gilbert in timeout?

What do I do? I LOVE the new fish, but don't want him to be a bully and stress my other two out!!!

Heh, sounds like your older fish are kind of wimpy.

Hopefully it dies down, usually with new fish there's a bit of chasing between the new and the old. As long as no one is getting physically harmed it should be fine in a week or so.

Be sure to keep an eye on the parameters to reduce any additional stress and maybe consider keeping the lights off a bit longer each day. It sounds like you and your son have a group of wonderful fish. :D

Good luck and keep us updated! :heart

Ive had bullying too and am actually going through it right now with a ranchu. :rolleyes: I moved him to another tank and he is seemingly behaving for the time being but since you only have one tank Im not sure what to offer as advice. Try rearranging the tank decor and doing a waterchange.

Good luck! :)

I have an empty cycled 5 gallon also, but it's not big enough for a goldie, so is not much use.

Poor Baloo, my little pearlscale, is such a wuss. Gilbert isn't actually hurting the other two, just sort of half heartedly chasing them. Nemo's gotten quite brave, and will do a little swim by, and just avoid Gilbert's dive after her. Not showing any stress. Baloo, on the other hand, looks like a terrified little kid. She's mostly hiding in the hollowed out section of the little ship ornament. It's sad to see, as Baloo is normally a very social little fish, waggling her way along the glass, and coming to the top trying to get attention. She's the one who likes to be hand fed.

I'm going to add the couple of small plants from my 5 gallon (since they're not being used), and rearrange everything to give as much cover to the smaller fish as possible. Gilbert also seems to have settled down this morning, and to be more curious than territorial. Hopefully everyone's getting along soon!!!

I'll post pics later. When you see the size difference, you'll understand poor Baloo's fear - she's slightly smaller than Gilbert's head! When I put him in there, it was almost like you could see the other fish thinking, "What are you doing?!!! He'll eat us!!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!" :krazy:

:( Seems to be the season for bullying, as I have been playing musical fish and tank with, Sun Burst, one of my Orandas. Just when I think I have found him a new home he starts again. I have finally given up and moved him into his very own 20 gal long tank. Maybe a month or so alone will adjust his attitude!

However, the feeling of satisfaction for myself was short lived, as when I got up this morning Seymour, my black Ranchu, had been displaying mating behavior with Randy, a red and white Ranchu, to the point of her showing signs of being exhausted and really stressed. So he has now found a new home in a different tank.

Sun Burst and Seymour may become tank mates!

I've had this problem a few times. Once I took the offending ryukin out of the tank and QT'd him in a 36 gallon (at that point by himself.) I added a large black moor, and he was so aggressive he began beating up my Ryukin that was there in the first place for being too mean! eventually I put the ryukin back in the big tank and his aggression has pretty much stopped. The moor had to go back to the store he came from... I guess this really depends on the fish you have. Good luck!

well, my rearranging a bit and adding stuff seems to be helping. Gilbert's chasing less, and Nemo and Baloo are coming out more, although Baloo is still mostly hiding.

A couple pics to show the size difference and setup. I'll post more pics in the gallery!

Nemo and Baloo at the front of the tank, in front of the ship and the biobeads I have on the tank bottom (there's a bunch more in the filter). Those beads are a bit less than an inch long.

P1080820.jpg

Gilbert a bit further back than Nemo and Baloo were in the above pic, between the ship and the biobeads. It's not an exact proportion, but close enough that you can get the idea. (notice Nemo in the background)

P1080876.jpg

a shot of the tank. I'll pull some plants back out to increase swimming room again once everyone's settled down a bit.

P1080875.jpg

btw, I'm lucky to know Gilbert's background. He was given to the store by a customer who'd had him since he was just a teeny tiny fry. She kept him in a 50 Gallon by himself - he's 2 1/2 years old. She was moving and taking down her tank.

I'm soooo glad I got this fish! He's looking 100 times better in my tank than the store tank - I think if I'd left him he would have died :( And I can't believe he was only $20!!!!

anyway, I'm sure things will be fine. Gilbert's really NOT being that aggressive - he's only chasing halfheartedly, not nipping anyone, and ignoring them some of the time. My other fish are just being sissies :lol1

thanks! Things are going better. Gilbert and Nemo have "made friends", and are now swimming around together. It seems Gilbert was being curious, not aggressive - he just wanted to sniff Nemo's behind, lol. Goldfish are so like dogs, it's funny! Baloo's still not ready to come out and swim with Gilbert, but is looking a bit more relaxed and just hanging out behind the plants, rather than hiding inside the ship. I think by tomorrow everyone will be fine together.

Just wanted to update and say that everyone is now getting along fine :) Baloo still tends to avoid Gilbert, but no longer panics everytime he comes near, and is out of hiding. Nemo seems twitterpated - she and Gilbert spend most of their time swimming together.

Just wanted to update and say that everyone is now getting along fine :) Baloo still tends to avoid Gilbert, but no longer panics everytime he comes near, and is out of hiding. Nemo seems twitterpated - she and Gilbert spend most of their time swimming together.

Haha, she likes those rebels, eh?

I like your tank, its huge. Those plants look so real. That's a really cool tank.

Thanks! It's not huge though, only 28G. The tank is about 24" long, by 12" deep, by 16" high, with a bow front (not the exact measurements, I'm guesstimating). The fact that Nemo and Baloo are still small make it look bigger than it is.

I secretly aspire to have a bigger tank someday, say a 75 or 90 gallon...my husband is blissfully unaware of this ;)

As for Nemo and Gilbert - I think that love is in the air. :heart Poor Baloo must feel like the third wheel on a date! Nemo follows Gilbert everywhere, mirrors his movements, and this evening I've caught her rubbing herself along him a couple of times. Silly flirty fish - and she's just a baby still!!!

Archived