Wen Color Change Help!

Guest LamLam

Hi,

I posted about a month ago about my oranda being sick. I have two fish in the tank. One is a black moore and the other is an oranda. The black moore seems to be fine other than some fin rot. The Oranda has major finrot and has been sitting at the bottom of the tank for over a month now. Ive been doing weekly water changes. I have tried to treat them with some medication, but non has come with any results. Well today i noticed that the orandas wen changed colors. Yesterday it was all orange and today part of it turned red. I changed the water yesterday and i usually do 25% water change and treat with prime and put in some koirx for trace elements. Im not sure whats happening inside my tank as the parameters are within normal range. Im not sure whether the cycle crashed or if something in the water is causing the problems. I do seem to have lots of brown algae growing and the tank has been established for 1 year now. Here are some pictures. Please let me know what i need to do. Thanks so much

DSC01023.jpg

DSC01022.jpg

Hi lamlam :)

Would you be able to give us more information on the tank? The best way to do this is by answering the questions in the white box. Also, could you give a brief overview on the treatments you've administered to date? ie:

- What did you treat with?

- How long did you treat?

The wen almost looks like its hemorrhaging plus it appears as though he has ammonia burns on his back. So supplying your readings for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph will help to understand what may be happening.

Thanks for the quick replies. I just went to run a water check and i found something interesting.

Ammonia is at 0ppm

Nitrite is at 0ppm

Nitrate is at 160 ppm

Ph is 7.8

The tank is 90 gallons

I have two emperor 400s

I change water every week

i have two fish. an oranda and a blackmoore. Both are about 6 inches in length

I usually just use prime to clean out the stuff and use koi rx from goldfish connection for trace elements

I feed my fish progold

no new fish lately

My oranda has red streaks all over and have fin rot. The oranda seems to have major finrot while the blackmoore barely has any.

The black moore is very active and acts normal

The oranda sits at the bottom of the tank. As stated in my first post he has been like that for almost 2 months.

how do i get the nitrate to go quickly? Ill do a 30% water change. Im wondering if this is why my oranda has been sitting at the bottom of the tank for so long. But i wonder why my black moore doesnt show any signs. Do you think the oranda is saveable? Please say yes.

Thanks

You need to do a much larger water change than 30% - that's only removing one third of the nitrates, which leaves them still too high. 30% takes it down 48 ppm, so you'd have to do another 75% or so to get within the safe range. I'm not sure if you should do this all at once, I'll leave that to the experts, but I'd say do another water change right away!

Good luck to you!

Wow that nitrate is at a deadly high.

As said, you need to do 75% water changes every hour (test an hour after each change before doing another) until you get them down to 10-20. You may change 200% of the water before getting the level you want, but that is ok. Just keep changing until it reaches 10-20.

Have you tested the tap water for nitrates? You may want to do that, your water may have them already in it.

At the level the nitrates are at are poisoning the fish, so the quicker you can lower them the better.

So i changed the water multiple times till it was about 0 to 5ppm (hard to tell the color of the test). The wen changed back to normal color. THe oranda still looks in horrible condition as if he cant swim. He wiggles around and floats for a few seconds and then drops as if he cant swim. Its been like that for a long time. Is there anything i can do to reduce stress or any medication that you guys know of for finrot? I just dont understand how the blackmoore acts healthy with minimal finrot and the oranda is in super bad shape. But i will monitor the water levels everyday. I got careless and only monitored the water every month.

THanks so much for everyones quick replies and helpfulness.

Good to hear that his wen changed back to normal. I think if you just keep a really close eye on your water parameters and make sure to keep it perfect, then he will slowly come around. Water quality is the most important aspect of their health, and most problems can be improved this way. Good luck!

Edit: Just re-read your post, not sure why he is swimming oddly? May be a swim bladder problem, does he ever flip upside down or struggle to stay upright? As for reducing stress, you could try adding some aquarium salt to the tank.

Guest MidnightClyde
Is there anything i can do to reduce stress or any medication that you guys know of for finrot?

I think the last thing your goldies need right now is medication. The water params were so bad, I'd guess that he was on his death bed.

I'm new to this goldfish thing, but from what little I've learned, keeping pristine water parameters is the best medicine out there.

When I first started, my fish had really bad finrot. I found out later that it was becuase I was feeding them waaaaaay too much (Becuase goldies, by nature, make you think they're hungry and begging for food) and crappy water parameters. Monitor the water daily for the next few weeks and I can almost guarantee you that he'll get better.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LamLam

Sorry for the late replies, I have been busy.

I have been keeping an eye on them and changing the water every couple of days cause it seems the nitrates rise at a very fast rate. Anyways i think he does have swim bladder problems. Im not sure what to do but he does eat. His wen is also getting extremely huge. I think one side is almost completely covering his eye. My other fish are very active and seem healthy. What do you guys suggest i do about swim bladder disease? and the huge wen?

Thanks

Glad to hear back from you, I was wondering what happened.

The SBD, is often like balencing on a wire. But keeping the nitrates 10-20 is essential. Anything higher and that will throw the fish into full blown SBD.

Fasting the fish on a regular basis, followed by feeding peas is a good way to control it.

Gel foods are another, alot of members report gel food helps to keep the fish from floating to much.

As for the wen, I would leave it personally. As long as the other fish don't pick on him and he can find food ok, he should be fine.

Archived