Sign in to follow this  
Guest Juliosmom

Black Moor With Bad Fin

This isn't good Tam and I was hoping this wouldn't happen :( If you haven't added the pc yet then I'd go directly to the Maracyn Two.... This is a nasty myxobacterial infection and in the previous pic, it was looking like it was heading in this direction - I was hoping it wouldn't though.

Googly really needs a good bacterial med now as this is a virulent infection and it will continue to destroy the fins which literally disintegrate overnight. This is what my butterfly had and I believe it's because I didn't treat the original bacteria long enough so it continued on to the fins.

The bacterial meds in parasite clear won't be enough to resolve this bacteria which is why i recommend dosing with maracyn two - I honestly believe it's the best chance he has....

Guest Juliosmom

Okay. I've asked my brother to stop on his way here to pick up my neice. He's going to be late so I've begged him to put it in Googly's tank because I'll be at work. Gary (husband, not fish) is going to kill me :( and if I ask him, he'll likely just send Goog to a watery grave. He's already piquiing about the 'fish'.

I put one tab of the PC in last night. Should I do a water change and put the carbon back in to take the PC out of the water before putting the M2 in?

Salt? No Salt? Does Goog have a chance?

Can I just sit down and cry now?

:cry1 I think I could cry with you.Sorry I haven't answered up til now Tam,I'm on my 84 hour work week ,so I get kind of scarce during these weeks on. :blink:

Because of how things have gone with the water quality,we've never been able to pinpoint or try for anything specific here,so that has made this whole ordeal even more frustrating.

I think you should do a big water change and run carbon if its new, to get the remaining PC out of the tank.I feel bad about that,but as I said,this has not been a normal type situation because of the water params during all the treatments.So many symptoms can come from high Nitrites,so that's what we've been fighting here all along. I think as Jen stated though,we've got no choice here now,and have to go back to the Maracyn as it's alot stronger to work on the bacteria. I was trying to avoid that because you said Googly seemed so much morse when you treated him with that,even though I thought it probably wasn't so much the Maracyn,but more the water quality.

I'll tell you the truth,I don't know where Googly's gotten the strength to deal with all this like he has,like a little trooper,and I hope that he still has enough fight in him. :heart

I think if it were me,I'd make another last ditch effort with the MAracyn,These darn params just haven't been cooperative,and I thought of 100% water changes daily,but didn't mention, because of so many other things.

He needs a strong bacterial med,especially now that his fins have blown out,as now he's where that could actually do him in itself.You have to keep the Nitrites down,or this will be fruitless,so I think you'll have to do large changes and then redose the meds each time you take a reading of the params,as Googly will not be able to handle ammonia/or Nitrites much longer. :( I wish I was closer to give hugs and support,as you and Googly have had one heck of a time. :heart

I don't think I'd try the salt at this minute because of how bad he sounds,but I am a chicken.I just don't know if both would put him over at this point. :unsure: .

Guest Juliosmom

It has been an uphill battle, for sure. No worries, Sharon :)

My params are actually GOOD. A bit ironic, no? A 0, Nitrite - perhaps a slight tinge (I see it even when it's not there now, I think) and Nitrates between 10/20. I've put the carbon back and have done a 50% change. Googly just wasn't up to a huge water change, he's in his corner with his plants and I didn't want to upset him so I did half the tank; hopefully, the carbon will take care of the rest.

Rick, my brother, will medicate around 5pm and I'll send you all a quick update when I check on Goog at 11.

It's such a battle when things like this happen and the first time one of my guys became ill, I seemed to be running from tap to bucket to tank to tap - it was ceaseless and there's been times when it was fruitless but many times when it helped.... I don't think googly is ready to go so is putting up an enormous effort - bless him :heart

I wish Australian times weren't so different otherwise I would've seen your post and told you to add the Maracyn Two after the 50% waterchange. And as the carbon has been running, your brother can add the M2 anytime from now.

So i'll sit at the office today with fingers crossed and hope both googly and your efforts pay off :)

Just popping in to say i am checking on this thread daily and hoping your Googly pulls through...you are doing a great job. *fingers crossed*

Guest Juliosmom

Well, I wish I had good news to report, but I don't. My brother dropped into work to tell me he had erased my email with the med information so he didn't get the M2. He had a meeting to get to so didn't have time to run across the city and then back again so Googly has gone yet another day without. Rick had the good grace to look uncomfortable when he saw how upset I was.

When I arrived home last night, I put two of the PC in the tank hoping that in some way it might help him somewhat. I know it probably won't do any good, but I had nothing else. I'm going to check to see if there is a direct bus down to where the fish store is, bundle up my rugrats and try to go get the M2.

I can see through Googly's tail this morning. It's not gone, but it seems thinner. And, he's thinner from having not eaten for a couple of days. He was just starting to fill out a bit and now I think he's thinner than he was when I originally posted.

Water params are still okay.

Guest Juliosmom

I've decided to cure him or kill him, so to speak. I've gone with Maracyn and M2. I spoke with the owner of the store I've been going to and she said, at this point, go for broke and I agreed. Hoping for the best.

Now that's an attitude i'm familiar with - as it mirrors my own :) If somethings not working, then without much else to lose, i tend to treat aggressively. Dosing with M1 & 2 is a well recommended treatment plan because so many have had great success using them both. Now all we need is for Googly to pull his last reserve of strength out and fight one last time :heart

It'd be so wonderful if googly pulls through this - I'll be praying he does :heart

I have to say that I'm all for it myself.As it's been said,Poor Googly has certainly found strength somewhere to keep fighting through all of this.He's a tough little bugger for being so tiny. :heart If the treatment helps,wonderful!!! If the worst happens,then you know that you went all out to do everything you could Tammy. I too continue to keep all body parts crossed for him.Hoping to hear some good news today. :exactly

Tammy I haven't been on much lately and was so hoping to see this morning things were better, sorry to say I am upset it isn't.

You are not alone in frustration over poor Googly, as Devs said he is a fighter isn't he.

I hope your last ditch effort pays off and he recovers. I won't be on very much next week, but I so hope he gets better. I want your efforts to pay off. Good luck I will be thinking of you and he.

Guest Juliosmom

Still hanging in there!

Tail is very ratty and I can almost see through some sections but, the white on his sides has lessened somewhat over the course of night. Unfortunately, laboured breathing, bottom sitting, not eating still present. Gonna try to temp him with some tasty morsels today.

I am completely amazed at the tenacity of this little fish. :heart Even hubby didn't give me grief over the bus trip for medication. :blink:

How long can he go without food? We're on day 3.

That's why he may amaze us all yet - because many would have given up by now... but not little googly :heart

Most fish can survive for a good 10 days - that's how long one of my guys went without food while battling an infection but googly's a little different as he's already very lean ... Hopefully you'll be able to tempt him soon :)

Guest Juliosmom

I'm at a loss for words at the moment. Googly passed away sometime this evening while I was at work. When I arrived home I went in immediately to see how he was doing. His tank was extraordinarily cloudy and I couldn't find him and then I saw him. His little pupils were dilated and I just knew.

I'm so sorry, everyone.

:cry1 This is so sad :cry1 I'm so sorry Tam - I can't believe the fight you both put up :heart I won't forget little googly - for such a small fish, he had the strength of one 10 times bigger and stronger :heart:heart

:rip: little googly

:cry1 Oh Tammy,how sad to hear about poor little Googly. :cry1

Both Maracyns together are a very strong combo to use,but I don't think that Googly had any other options left here.He was sick far too long and we knew that this treatment would make him or break him. Please don't apologize as I know how much heart you put into saving the little fellow. I am probably as gutted as you right now. :cry:hug Googly will suffer no more,for he has moved on to a better place. :heart

Guest Juliosmom

Thank you for your kind words. You have all been so supportive and helpful. I am extremely grateful you didn't give up on Googly or I and continuously offered information and a shoulder to cry on!

In a bit of an ironic twist, I was contacted through Craiglist (as Jen626 suggested) about a 35 gallon complete aquarium (stand etc... all included) today. So, hopefully, hubby will let me spend $50 and both of my remaining fish will have tonnes of room to spare. Piggly and Gary have doubled in size since they arrived.

We buried Googly under one of my rhodendron bushes this afternoon :heart

Thanks again everyone!

Tammy, Brianna for Googly

:) Well Tam,that is a super fantastic great deal so I hope you can swing it with your hubby.Glad to hear the other guys are doing well,and I know they'd love the room in a new tank. :exactly

It sounds like Googly's been laid to rest in a beautiful spot :heart

And I couldn't have said it better than Sharon - it certainly is a super fantastic great deal :exactly

I hope you'll share some pics when you get it (see? the art of positive thought... and I just know your hubby will come around :D )

Tam, so sorry for your loss. :cry1 You did your very best for Googly and he will always remember that. Maybe he'll meet the two black moors that I lost and they'll have a big party in that giant fish pond in the sky!

I am glad you found a good deal on craigslist, I hope it works out and hubby lets you get it. I was lucky that mine was in a good mood the day i found my tank...back then he wasn't into the fish idea AT ALL.

Best wishes to you, your fish are lucky to have you.

:yeah: Any,news Tammy? :D

Guest Juliosmom

:nana Picking up Saturday morning. Hubby nearly lost his mind when I told him what I wanted to do, but he didn't technically say 'no' (these little technicalities are what makes a marriage work, doncha know?). So, I'm taking my daycare money for the week and off I go to get my new tank :bounce

He wanted to make Brianna's 10 gallon into a tropical tank anyway ..... so he'll get his wish :D

Does help that I did his taxes this week and found him a refund :rolleyes:

Anyhoo .... I've found a new issue with my oranda, Gary, which I'm posting on another thread .... SIGH.

Guest Juliosmom

Just wanted to let LaurieP, Devs and JenW that I finally have my 35 gallon set up :D Too late for Googly :( , but everyone else seems to be loving it! I put a pic in the Photos section!

Tammy