New Tank 55 Gallon

after my fan tail got sucked into the filter and got rid of the other one (both suffering from ich) finally found a 55 gallon tank and stand with filter for a good price getting this weekend i would appricate it if some one would make me a list of what all i need to get or do to get this up and running the right way so i do not have any more issues im starting over

im not sure what filter its comming with but i am going to get the aquaclear that does the 500gph and probley use the other that it comes with too if not ill get the smaller aquaclear to make sure it does at least 600 gph

tank size 55 gallons

filters will be aqua clears they have the extra things for the extra media do i need to get those now or can i just use the carbon insert

the master test kit

of course water conditioner

aquarium salt

new rocks would a light layer work or do i have to have the recommend ammount

fish 1 black moor and 1 calico Shubunkin both small and maybe later on another fantail (no more than 3 in this tank)

im getting the tank this weekend and going to let it run with out the gold fish for a week could i use an algae eater to cycle it for that week that way something is in the tank or could i use a pitcus catfish maybe i dont want to use the fish less cycle

thanks

Sounds like you've got an outline for a good plan.

With goldfish you don't need a substrate at all, but if you do choose to have rocks in your aquarium, I would suggest going with larger sized rocks so that they don't get stuck in your goldfishes mouths, or swallowed. I have some that are about an inch and a half, and they work great.

With your fish choices, I would seriously reconsider having a moor with a shubunkin. Shubunkins are much faster and sleeker swimmers than moors, and will gobble all the food up before your moor gets any. Especially considering the fact that moors have a notoriously hard time finding food because their eyes are so far apart.

Single tailed goldfish (shubunkin, comets, commons and the like) should be kept with other single tailed goldfish. Moors have a few special needs that need to be taken into account, sinking pellets fed in more than one area of the tank at the same time, and always in the same place will most likely allow your moor to get its fair share if housed with other fancies. Ideally telescope eyed goldfish (like moors) should only be kept with other goldfish with similar needs, however many people (like myself) keep them with non sight-impaired fancies.

When you do cycle your tank, I would seriously recommend taking a look at the fishless cycle. Cycling is really hard on goldfish, and if it is possible to avoid putting that stress on your new family member, it might be a better choice.

If you do decide to go with cycling with fish in your tank... start small. Use one fish, and test the water every day. Overloading the tank with more fish before you get a cycle set up will only increase the difficulty of your cycling experience and put a higher stress level on your fish.

If you really want a bottom feeder, try a bristlenose pleco or a rubberlip pleco. The pictus catfish is not compatible with goldfish. It is highly aggressive and prefers water warmer than goldfish like. However with goldfish, you don't need a bottom feeder at all, they'll find all the food that hits the bottom and root through all your rocks.

As far as your filters go... whether or not you use carbon is up to you. I have one filter running with no carbon and carbon in the other two, because it came in the filter cartridges... once those filter cartridges runs out, I'm going to use normal filter floss instead of the stuff that has carbon in it. If you are doing a cycle with fish, I would recommend not using the carbon. It will pull all the impurities out of your water and get all "full" rather quickly with the amount of water changes you are going to do.

With the water conditioner, I recommend Prime from Seachem or Amquel+.

im not going to keep the catfish or algae eater in with the goldfish i have them with angelfish and thought i could do the cycle with one of them

i had a black more and a calico shubunkin til my husband wiped the inside of the tank with a new sponge that had anti bacteral stuff on it while the fish were in the tank and it killed them thats what started this whole goldfish mess they got along great

i got the tank today and the filter it came with is a pengiun bio wheel 300 0r 350 but one bio wheel is broke though does it have to have both bio wheels to work it does have the carbon filters and the media baskets and it was a saltwater tank i have cleaned it the best i can if there is any salt or sand left in the tank anywhere is that going to hurt any fresth water fish

penguin 330 gets 330 gallons per hour.

aquaclear 110 gets 500 gallons per hour.

For a 55 gallon tank, you need 550 GPH. (at least) You would be better off getting another penguin 330 or any other filter that gets 220-350 GPH.

• 2 weeks later...

ok well after some issues my husband has taken over my 55 gallon that i was going to use for my goldie tank it is now his angelfish tank (2 only in take gggggrrrr) well anyway i get the 20 gallon for now heres the set up would this be ok

20 gallon

penguin 330 (330 gallons per hour) bio wheel with extra baskets for media (no wheels though to replace all that i need would be buying another filter)

Im gonna take out 6 decor from the 55 gallon (been up and running for almost 2 weeks) the penguin has been running on this tank as well with just the carbon filters no extra media right now

and im gonna take enough rocks out not to make the bottom of the 55 gallon have any holes a few 8 oz cup fulls and transfer all to the 20 gallon

i will be using prime as the water conditioner and i have some stress zyme biological filtration booster contains dual action live bacteria and some salt i do have melafix can i add that to the tank when i add the fish it says when adding fish to tank dose for 3 days ?

only going with 1 black moor mabye 2 but no more now :(

would i really need the airstones for oxygen or will the filter produce enough my husband says we do not need the airstones because the filters produce oxygen ?

You need to have the actual biowheel in the filter, or there won't be enough biological filtration on the tank. You can order replacement ones online (http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18677/si1382235/cl0/marinelandbiowheelassemblyfor300330)

Sometimes filters can produce enough surface agitation in order to properly aerate the tank, but not always. I have a Penguin 150 on my 10 gallon tank and there isn't enough oxygen in there unless I put an air stone too. You can use air pumps and bubble wands or air stones or something, or you can try using a powerhead, directing the flow so that it creates surface agitation over the entire tank.

You need to have the actual biowheel in the filter, or there won't be enough biological filtration on the tank. You can order replacement ones online (http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18677/si1382235/cl0/marinelandbiowheelassemblyfor300330)

Sometimes filters can produce enough surface agitation in order to properly aerate the tank, but not always. I have a Penguin 150 on my 10 gallon tank and there isn't enough oxygen in there unless I put an air stone too. You can use air pumps and bubble wands or air stones or something, or you can try using a powerhead, directing the flow so that it creates surface agitation over the entire tank.

its not just the bio wheels itself its also the bearings and the brackets. from the marineland website to order replacements is 27.20 im bout to check that link is it correct about the gph on the penguin 330 thats its 330 gph

Archived