Sick Oranda...emergency

MaudlinBlithe

Last night about two hours before bedtime, I fed my oranda vivre... She acted fine and ate like a pig. I noticed she had fin rot/fungus (?) on her back tail fins. I couldnt do a water change and add meds right then, because my friend Somer came over. she lost her fiance last thursday in a snow mobile accident. She was all broken up, so I figured I'd do it today.

I just finished changing the water, (75%) the only thing wrong with the reading was nitrAte, at I'm guessing (?) 80 ppm. All other readings were FINE!!!

but whatever Vivre has, it has brought her down fast. last night she acted normal but now she is laying on her side and breathing real slow. every now and then, she will correct her self for a few minutes, only to lay on her side again.

How can I tell the difference between fin rot and fin fungus? before I always assumed it was fin rot... but I think I was wrong and they are two different thing.

In the past up to the present, her tail was frayed because even though I put a plant basket on the filter it would still suck her tail in when she swimmed by it.

So now her tail looks frayed but with white on the tips. the white ISNT patchy like cotton.

Should I do a salt treatment?

Or, I have BOTH maracyn one and two.

(the salt I have is mortons canning and pickling salt. fine grain. For anyone who read my posts the last time my fish was sick, I had loaned somer my make-shift goldfish "research" book I made... I never got it back, and it says how much of the mortons salt constitutes a .3%salt solution.... so IF I use the salt, I'll need help there, cause It has been so long since I have done a .3% i cant remember how much!!!)

BTW, the waters temp is 78 degrees f..... that is because the only place I honeslty have to sit my fish tank is by the heater.

sammie

The fin rot/fungus (not sure) was probably caused by the high nitrates and the filter injuring her tail. I think that you should look into solving the filter problem soon but first, we need to treat the fish.

I am not sure how to tell the difference between fin rot/fungus. If it is rot then use antibiotics. (maracyn) If it is fungus then catch the fish and dab malachite green on the fungus.

I hope someone else will come soon to provide a second opinion.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your fish, as well as your friend's loss. How horrible.

I think that the high nitrates are causing the fin problem. Correct that and it should heal nicely. To be honest I wouldn't use any med at this point, those nitrates are at a toxic level.

My recommendation is to change water until they get around 10-20 and keep them there, that should help.

The salt will be ok, it is 1 tsp per gallon for 0.1%. Work up to 0.3% over 36 hours, dosing each round 12 hours apart.

But again, I wouldn't use any med right now.

alright that is what I will do--the salt.

I dont think she will live though. she barely moves.... just lays there on her side at the top of the water. barely breathing. even after that big water change.

ugh,

sammie

Sammie are you testing an hour after each water change? You need to be, changing the water 50%, even 75% isn't going to bring it down quick enough without further changes.

Each change should be followed by testing an hour later and if not in range then another huge change and so on......

I am sorry that she seems bad, right now it is the only thing to do to help her.

Yeah, I was changing it alot. it is hard to read but it is, in my opinion, lower that 20 ppm now.

She is still alive, but I dont think she will live. she just lays there on her side, barely breathing.

her tummy looks messed up too. I held her in the water, she didnt even try to fight me (she would eat out of my hand but she would never "sit" in my hand like I have seen pics of some fish doing). I gently pushed on her belly with my finger, and it was soft and not firm like normal..

What causes that?

I thought about putting her in the freezer, or using some of the clos essential oil I have, but...... that is soooo hard.

All of the white stiff is off of her tail now.

sammie

A mushy belly can mean organ failure. How is she doing today, still with us?

If the nitrates had been that high for a period of time then it's toxic properties could have taken a toll on her.

How often do you check your params?

:unsure: Hey Sammie,any update on Vivre?What are your exact water params reading today?

Any chance that you can get yourself some Medi-Gold from the Goldfish Connection?Often times, those mushy bellies are full of a severe bacterial infection,and will kill a fish quickly if treatment isn't started immediately,and the medicated food works the fastest. It wouldn't hurt to start an Antibiotic such as Maracyn II either,but you have to act quickly here.Is the fish showing any redness on her belly or anal area?

Sorry it took me awhile to get back in here. She died after I wrote that post. I had been feeding her metromeds the whole time.

that was my favorite gf of all time. The tank is not the same without her. I still have two smaller telescopes.

I will miss her so much. and oh my gawd, she was one stunningly beautiful oranda. she wasnt bulky like the show quality ones. she was very feminine in appearance. vivid vivid orange. she will be missed. To me, she has a place in my heart just like that favorite childhood dog of mine....

I buried her in the garden. so she will live on in nature, because nature will recycle her into plants. and when a bunny eats that plant, and so on and so forth. so she will always be with me.

sammie

:cry1 I'm sorry sammie,for it is truly earth shattering to lose someone that you care so much about.Often times, by the time we do see symptoms,it's usually too late:heart You tried your best hun. :heart

Archived