Thinking Of A New Tank

Guest Tomarc

So I haven't been into goldfish for that long, but when I go into things I tend to go in big. There's a 60 gallon show tank at my LFS, just 5 blocks away. They're asking $150 for it because it's used. It currently is used for salt water and has two tropical [i believe] fish in it. Just glancing at it, it seems like a fairly nice tank.

Didn't get a chance to ask what its made out of or what type of filtration it has, though the filter's hidden underneath in the stand, looked like it might be a sump. I plan on going again tomorrow and getting the dimensions, type, and filter info.

Is it a good deal though? I just have an oranda and a shubunkin in my little 10 gallon right now [emergency tank since my 20 cracked when I moved]. If I did get it, I'd probably put them both in there and buy another oranda. And than when the pond outside is fixed that's where the shubunkin would go.

Guest MidnightClyde

Ask the guy if he knows who the maker of the tank is (What brand)

I'm semi-new to this goldfish/aquarium thing altogether, but one thing I have learned is there is a biiiig difference in brands of tank.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but for large tanks (That could have a blowout), It's important to have a reputable brand. There's nothing worse than coming home to 60 gallons and 5 or so dead fish on your carpet. I personally have an AllGlass 55 gal, as I've heard Allglass is one of the 'better' brands out there

If it's a decent tank (As in, has sufficient glass thickness) and the filter works, I'd say it sounds like a pretty good deal

Archived