So Horrified I Had To Take It Home...

Katalyst

So recently I've lost two rescues last week. One I had no indication was ill and the other I knew was on death's door but I couldn't leave her there, sadly she passed hours later.

Yesterday I went to my LFS for a large kritter keeper to put in my 150. My snail is getting beat up no matter where I put him so I was hoping a large kritter keeper in the 150 in cycled heated water would be better then just sticking him in a small tub.

I'm standing on line fish free, with my kritter keeper in hand until... The woman in front of me is holding a bag and urges her son forward when the clerk is ready to ring them up. She says 'Go ahead and tell the man what you did!' in a pretty gruff tone. The cliff note version, the boy I'd say around 10-13 ish bought a goldfish for fun to put in a tank full of Convicts, Jack Dempsey's and Ciclhids intentionally! The Mother basically made him bring the little goldie back to the store to take actions for his responsibilities. I was horrified but wanted to applaud her at the same time.

So yeah I took one look at the pathetic little thing and said to the woman I'll take him. The woman whipped around defensively and said 'No that's okay I want to get a refund anyway'. I say 'Whatever you paid for him I'll give you'. She looked at me confused, and I said 'Putting that fish back into a community tank is a death sentence, how much do you want for the fish?' I think she was embarrassed and she shoved the fish at me and said 'Take it!' and walked out.

The clerk said he wasn't going to give her any money back anyway said that I really shouldn't take the fish home. Needless to say it is in a 15 gallon QT tank at the moment. It ate a little last night but not today, she was flashing a bit so I'm considering adding salt to the tank but at the moment he or she is pretty traumatized.

It has the saddest little face I've ever seen on a fish and my heart aches when I look at her at the moment I've added a very large terracotta pot and a very large (fake) bamboo plant I was going to put in my 150 g. It covers the entire top of my 15 gallon and seems to help. Its not a strong swimmer and doesn't seem to use its tail fin very much but it doesn't seem ragged either. She goes from bottom sitting to swimming around a lot, mainly she just hides and who can blame her?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That poor fish!!! :cry1 Good for the mom I say, at least she though her son's behaviour was inappropriate. I had a 'friend' (not so much anymore) who thought it was fun to put goldfish in his piranna tank...the poor little guys would last a few days sometimes apparently, I can't even think about it without getting absolutely angry. It's so lucky that you were there when that poor little guy got brought in, please keep us posted!

Chrissy

Saddest of all is the fact that the mom did not seem so upset by the cruelty of what her son did - but by the fact that he "wasted" his money on the fish. She wanted a refund. I bet if you had not been there and the refund refused, she would have dumped the fish, bag and all, in the garbage can.

:cry1

I don't know anything about convicts or ciclids but I assume they would hurt the goldfish. There are kids on youtube that are abusing gold fish in cruel ways, no wonder kids think they are not important with things like that being shown. I am glad his mother stopped him

That's so sad.

Unfortunately, most parents don't really care about the fish they get their children. If they die they just go buy another one and not worry about it. Since I have learned from Koko's how to properly care for golfish (not to mention any other fish) we make sure to teach our boys that fish have feelings too. They are still little but I hope that when they grow up they will remember the things that we teach them. I wish all parents would learn more about fish and not just think of them as dispensable.

Thanks guys, the little guy is still swimming around. I have the entire tank covered as its in my kitchen and I can imagine the lights going on and off suddenly and people walking in and out would be scary. He's in pristine water which I did add salt to last night and he seemed to perk up a little. He eats but only when no one is watching apparently I see green and white poop unfortunately so I'm putting it on medigold.

She reminds me of a abused puppy who cowers in the corner, but seems a bit better today. Se constantly hides but I peeked in his tank and sure enough she seemed to be swimming around checking things out.

Lola1.jpg

Ohhhh he looks like such a cutie :heart

I really hope he comes around. Maybe once he realizes that the 'bad guys' are gone he'll be out and about a bit more.

Chrissy

Thanks Chrissy I hope so too...It has the cutest little face. :heart

Aw Kat, he looks so sweet peeking out from under the leaf there :heart . He or she must be very traumatised but hopefully that will pass over given time in your loving care and he'll probably turn out extra affectionate and friendly in the end :heart . You are so good to do what you did.

One thing, like Kimma, I believe is teaching boys respect and gentleness toward any living creature- to me that is one of the things that makes a man a real man. I wish more Moms of boys were focused on it.

Well done you, i'm so happy you where in the right place at the right time.

It's unbelievable how cruel humans can be. But the little guy is in safe hands now! :D

Thanks for asking Susan, she seems to improve slightly each day. I think she may have a number of problems parasite & bacterial so I'm thinking its going to take awhile. No more bottom sitting, still hides a bit and still pacing against the glass, but less each day. She reacts to sudden movement with jerk like twitching but is also swimming around a bit more and seems perkier by the day.

Because of the food spitting and bubble eating I suspected flukes and at the moment she is having a Prazi Powder bath. :) She's eating but her poop is the color medigold turns after its been in the water awhile (tan) so its hard to tell if its food colored or white. I'm going to keep her in the Prazi for 48 hours and then change out the water and give her another dose. I'm starting to see these little tapeworm looking things floating around which are super gross and I've been removing with a turker baster...Tomorow I'll be waiting with another batch of prazi! :bat: After the medigold I am going to give her a round of metro meds as well.

Here she is, its a dark picture as the tank has a black slate bottom. Thanks again for asking after her. :heart

15.jpg

Archived