Winter Storms Make Water Unsafe To Drink

Guest fishcrazy101

Guest fishcrazy101

so those people on the east coast you know about those winter storms.

So when a ice storm hit our area our power was out til 12pm but our water was out too. So the day after that the water company gives us a letter saying "you need to boil the water in order to cook,brush teeth,and drink but u can bathe without boiling so i am wonder is it still safe to preform water changes for the fish tanks.

i need answers

so :please help many thanks fishcrazy :bingo:

No - if the water in not safe to drink, I would not consider it safe for the fish. There are many things that may be in the water - from bacteria (sewage/waste) to other nasties. Since you are allowed to shower - but NOT ingest any water, I would not let the fish "ingest" the water, either.

CAn you boil up a few gallons for your fish water change? Can you buy a few gallons of bottled drinking water? You can probably use chlorine to "clean" the water, and then dechlorinate so the water is safe for the fish....

I posted a thread similar to this when we had a water mane break in our city. We didn't think anything about the boil water alert and changed our water. The next morning we found one of our fish had died. I adree with the above post, I would boil the water just to be on the safe side.

Guest fishcrazy101

we just got a letter about the boil water thing has been lift and is now safe to drink.

so thanks i shall keep this for futrue reference. :)

When there is a "boil water" order after a storm, water main break, or power outage, it is normally because there is a possible breach in the integrity of the system. Pressure loss can result in back-siphoning of possibly contaminated water into the distribution system, etc. These orders are normally short-lived, and I would advise you to just wait it out.

Also, you might find higher-than-normal chlorine levels after such an event, as the water company tries to recover from the interruption.

Dennis

Archived