Jump to content

Winter Storms Make Water Unsafe To Drink


Guest fishcrazy101

Recommended Posts

Guest fishcrazy101

so those people on the east coast you know about those winter storms.

So when a ice storm hit our area our power was out til 12pm but our water was out too. So the day after that the water company gives us a letter saying "you need to boil the water in order to cook,brush teeth,and drink but u can bathe without boiling so i am wonder is it still safe to preform water changes for the fish tanks.

i need answers

so :please help many thanks fishcrazy :bingo:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

No - if the water in not safe to drink, I would not consider it safe for the fish. There are many things that may be in the water - from bacteria (sewage/waste) to other nasties. Since you are allowed to shower - but NOT ingest any water, I would not let the fish "ingest" the water, either.

CAn you boil up a few gallons for your fish water change? Can you buy a few gallons of bottled drinking water? You can probably use chlorine to "clean" the water, and then dechlorinate so the water is safe for the fish....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I posted a thread similar to this when we had a water mane break in our city. We didn't think anything about the boil water alert and changed our water. The next morning we found one of our fish had died. I adree with the above post, I would boil the water just to be on the safe side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest fishcrazy101

we just got a letter about the boil water thing has been lift and is now safe to drink.

so thanks i shall keep this for futrue reference. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

When there is a "boil water" order after a storm, water main break, or power outage, it is normally because there is a possible breach in the integrity of the system. Pressure loss can result in back-siphoning of possibly contaminated water into the distribution system, etc. These orders are normally short-lived, and I would advise you to just wait it out.

Also, you might find higher-than-normal chlorine levels after such an event, as the water company tries to recover from the interruption.

Dennis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...