How To Discourage A Surface Skimmer?

SnBMeg

Recently, my little (actually not so little anymore as she's been growing like a weed since I got her, but she's still the "baby" of the tank) Moor has been doing a lot of skimming the surface for tiny, dust-sized bits of food after meals. She learned this from my Ryukin, who only does it a little bit, but the Moor has been doing it a lot and apparently swallowing air, and has been having floaty spells.

It's definitely not a gasping for air issue, as I've seen that before and can tell the difference now, and I've got plenty of aeration in the tank (two filters providing surface breaking/disturbance, plus a bubble disk), and none of the other fish are acting oddly.

I've never surface-fed any of my goldies (except for the oldest, back when I was new to goldfish, and she's long since learned that now the food is at the bottom.) The little tiny floating bits are what's left after the fishies have been eating and spitting out chewed up pieces.

Basically, I'm hoping for any suggestions on ways to discourage my little Moor from trying to skim dust-sized bits of food from the surface. Anything aside from tapping/smacking the tank near her (which is the only thing that's worked so far?) I'm working on narrowing down which foods result in tiny floating bits, but in the meantime, any advice?

I have one that likes to hang out on the surface, she smacks her lips and gurgles until someone enters the room she is in to get attention. Then swims/wraggles all over the tank joyfully, its a pretty funny sight. She extemely enjoys physical contact and because of her surface dwelling I've begun to feed her gel food. There are some great recipe's on the site just make sure you stir in the gelatin rather then blend it or it will float. The stuff sinks like a rock and even smaller particles that break off seem to stay mid level in the tank.

Additionally a lot of people with floaty fish feed gel food to control sbd.

Gel food made from one of the recipes on this site is my fishies' breakfast every morning! And I have to say that it has done wonders for my other Moor (the albino in my sig), who is prone to internal bacterial infections and has a gassy intestine. :P

I cut it into easily bite-size pieces, but my fishies still chew a bit and then spit out 1/4 of it, so it makes a big mess all over the tank for a little while, top to bottom. :rolleyes: (The currents in the tank from the filters are set up to make sure the whole water column is moving to some extent, to make sure that any bits of gunk in the water make it to one of the filter intakes, so the bits of gel food get moved all over.) However, it doesn't stay on the surface, and I haven't noticed my problem Moor skimming after breakfast, so I think that I can rule it out as one of the problem foods. :)

So far the floatiness has always cleared up after several hours or so, but I'm worried that if it continues she may permanently damage her swim bladder. :/

Thanks for the input!

Archived