My Fry Are A Week Old Today! *pics*

GoinNuts

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Trinket! Yeah, the color is fun. :D They change from day to day so I never know what I'm going to find every morning.

Here's a pic of Dad (Zoey), my blue and orange. I think he has some Ryukin in him:

Zoey2.jpg

Mom (Cosmo) is a black moor, but I don't have any good pics of her. Black moors are hard fish to take good pics of for some reason.

Lisa

If you go over to 'goldfish food' forum there are lots of recipes for homemade gel food and I think a pinned article about it. Basically it is a solid lump of nutritious food with lots of veggies, garlic etc blended in amixer and frozen with gelatin.

:D Wow Lis,these fry pics are awesome!!! Once again I will say that I really do need a better camera. :rofl

They seem to be growing by leaps and bounds here,and it will be so interesting to see just how many grow tele eyes,how many moors,etc. I am looking forward to the next group of pics!!! How exciting!!!

Thanks, everyone! Sharon, it is exciting. Everyday. They change so fast, it seems! I was looking at pics I'd taken when they were a week old and I can't believe how quickly they became 'fish'. They looked like anything but fish at first. :rofl

How do you get so clear pictures?

Carbon, I use a digital SLR, take a bazillion pictures with a bazillion different settings and I end up with maybe 6 or 8 good pics. :P

Lisa

Edited by GoinNuts

Oops, forgot to update on the other stuff. I did lose a good number of fry over the past couple of weeks. I'm now down to 16. :( I have no idea what caused the others to die, they were some of my biggest, healthiest looking ones. But, from reading other's fry threads, it seems to not be uncommon to go through a loss-spurt around 3 weeks or so. Stinks, but I guess that's nature?

I've taken them off BBS and HFB (expect for my most tiniest fry) and they are getting Daphnia now. They LOVE that stuff, lol. I'm going to be trying them on crushed pellets and flakes later this week.

They really seem to prefer one end of the tank over another. That may be because they don't particularly like the current from the filter, although I do have a few that stay on that side and love, love, love to play in the bubbles from the bubble wand. :)

Here's a pic of the group that likes to stay in the one spot:

Fry_5wks_7.jpg

Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to drown you all in pictures, but I have one more I'd like to share, 'cause I love it when I catch one with his mouth open:

Fry_5wks_12.jpg

Btw, at what point can I stop calling them 'fry' and call them 'goldfish'? They don't look like fry so much anymore, but I'm thinking there might be an age or size they have to reach before you can graduate them to the fishy title.

Lisa

Thanks, Kat! I'm kinda proud of 'em. It's my first ever experience with fry and let me tell you, they are a lot of WORK! But, a lot of fun, too. :D I love watching them grow and change. :exactly

Lisa

(PS: If there are any mods around, is there ANY way I can edit/add to my subtitle that I have *new* pics/updates on my fry?)

Lisa

Edited by GoinNuts

Fry_5wks_6.jpg

Now that's a fishy-face! :exactly

Lisa

:bingo: Too right! That is the cutest picture :heart Your teen fry are looking so good all of them and yes almost ready to be called goldfish. Will you keep them all? It must be so hard not to after all the work and effort you've put in. Do you have a favorite? So many questions.. :)

:D I really thought that the pic was adorable.Seeing the colors were pretty cool too, as so far mine still look like Choco Orandas(Mom is one) :D Great job Lisa!

Thanks everyone! I'm really amazed at how fast these guys grow. I never expected to see color so soon, either. It's so exciting! :exactly

Will you keep them all? It must be so hard not to after all the work and effort you've put in. Do you have a favorite? So many questions..

Oh, Imogen, I want so badly to keep them ALL! I simply don't have the room. :( I do plan on keeping at least 2, possibly 4. As for favorite, well, of course that one in the pic! Right now, he/she is my biggest, most colorful one and seems to be developing a bit of personality. Loves the current from the filter and playing in the bubbles. :D There's another one that's pretty light-colored at the moment that has caught my attention, too.

Then I have my one teeny, tiny little guy that I just have a huge soft spot for. He's 'died' like 3 times and has come back every time. He's a fighter! :exactly

Lisa

The calico fry show their color very early, I had lots of calicos in my latest batch! I know exactly how you feel, I have to give away 18 of my babies next month, since I can only have 8 fish at home. :(

• 1 month later...

Hi Anette! My fry are doing really great - getting bigger and more colorful every day. :D I'm in the middle of doing the 'company clean' (my dh's aunt is coming to spend the day with us tomorrow) so I don't have time to take any new pics at the moment, but I'll try to get some later!

My one fry, the one that had the 'human' face in a previous pic, is HUGE. Over 2 1/2" in length and dwarfs some of the others. I even took my chances with The Curse and gave her/him a name: Freckles. It just seemed to fit. :D

I have two that are staying very, very tiny - barely 1/2" including tail. I'm watching them closely and am starting to think they may have mouth deformities that are preventing them from eating as well, hence their extremely small size.

Gotta get back to mopping, but I'll try and get some pics up either later today or Sunday!

Lisa