My Fry Are A Week Old Today! *pics*

GoinNuts

So far, they are doing really well and eating really well, too. I did lose about 1/2 - I started out with about 80 fry and am down to about 35-40. I guess that's not TOO terribly bad for a newbie? :)

I tried to get some pics over the weekend and this morning. Of the 50+ I took, these are the only 3 that aren't just blurry dots, lol. They are growing relatively quickly!

Saturday:

Fry5dysOld.jpg

Sunday:

Fry_6dysOld.jpg

Today at One Week Old!

Fry_1wkOld.jpg

They're really looking like fish now! :goldfish:

Thanks for letting me share!

Lisa

Edited by GoinNuts

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Daryl & vmlola!

Daryl, I am totally in AWE of how many fry you have. I was just reading your thread with the pic of the 'cloud of fry'. :clapping:

Sadly, I had to take one of my babies out just now when I cleaned the tank. He has a white spot on his tail that looks like fungus. I put him in another container and will just watch him and see if it goes away. They are so tiny and fragile at this age, though, so I'm not holding out much hope.

Makes me sad everytime I lose one. :( It is so easy to get attached to these little guys, even when all you can see is eyeballs and innards, lol!

Lisa

Just wanted to update with some new pics of my fry at 2 weeks. They seem to be growing at a good rate, but I do have some 'runts' in the pack. I think I'm going to be separating the small ones from the bigger ones today, as I read that sometimes they can get eaten and I don't want that to happen! I did lose 2 more over the weekend, one of the small ones and one due to a siphoning accident. :(

Ayway, here they are:

Fry_2wks_1.jpg

Fry_2wks_2.jpg

Fry_2wks_3.jpg

Fry_2wks_4.jpg

Thanks for lookin'!

Lisa

Oh yes, this is so exciting! To see those little ones (first time I saw a fry I didn't think it was cute!! :D ) grow and develop into perfect little fishies, it's amazing! I love to follow all these fry threads and watch them grow and get colors!

Good Luck!

Sure to be cuties when they grow up! One is already good at the "puppy eyes" look. Watch out, you will want to keep them all.

Edited by dickey's_assistant

thanks lisa. congrats to you too. it sure seems like a season of newborns huh? (LOL) im so nervous about mine cuz i only found 5 eggs that were clear with black dots in them. 2 have hatched already though. ive also been doing my water changes with them. can you keep posting those pics? id luv to see them grow up! im not to sure my cam can catch a shot of mine :( ill have to wait until they get a little older :) good luck to you lisa and to your new family :heart

Hi, Julie! I am sooooo excited for you. When I first found eggs, all I hoped for was for at least ONE to survive. It's the most exciting thing, watching these little guys grow. I sit and stare at them for ridiculous amounts of time in total fascination. :D

I see you are in Florida and so am I. If you're close, I would be totally willing to come by and take some pics so you can share your babies with the forum. I'm in North Tampa, so if you are near there and want to get together, just say the word!

Lisa

Edited by GoinNuts

Watch out, you will want to keep them all.

Oh, man. My biggest dilemna! I have NO idea how to let go of even one of these little guys when the time comes. I only have room for 1, maybe 2, and the rest will have to be adopted out.

HOW do I do that?! It's going to break my heart. :(

Lisa

hi lisa, i live in dunnellon which is near ocala. tampa being about 2 hrs away (i think) lol. i can understand how you feel, im hopeing for heathly little ones also and being my 1st time i find myself staring at them endlesly! sometimes i'll check them out then a few moments later im right back again. i think im going to have a hard time letting mine go also i have a good friend that wants them but sadley they dont know much about goldies and im trying to teach them the basics on goldie care before i let any go to their home. i already feel much attachment to the ones that have hatched and those that you can see their little black eyes in the eggs. :heart its like looking at your own little baby. how can you not :heart them.

Congrats Lisa, your babies are adoreable and the close up shots are really good- we can see their expressions! Amazing to see their progress. :goodjob

Thanks everyone! I am so in love with these little guys, it's almost scary. I've totally converted my scraproom to a 'fishery', lol. There are tanks and airline tubing and buckets everywhere. :P

I finally got my leaking 20 gal replaced today, so I'm waiting for the temp to get right with the water and then I'll be moving them to a bigger home here in a bit. I also got some brine shrimp eggs and will be giving hatching a go. (I don't know what the $ of frozen BBS is where you are, but here it's almost $7 for a week's supply. Yikes.)

I made some gel food last night and just put a little bit of it in the fry tank, to see if they would eat it. It took them a while, but now they are tearing it up! It's so funny to see them attack it like my big guy, Goldie, does. :D

It's funny, but who would have thought when I got those first two little goldfish for my boys 5+ years ago that I would become such a GF addict?!

Lisa

Hatching baby brine shrimp out is easy. I made it far harder than needed - in my usual compulsive fashion. Get a 2 liter soda bottle and cut the bottom off. I punched a hole near the top to hold the hose - fished an airhose in and down to the bottom. I use pvc pipe fittings as stands. Add 1 2/3 Tablespoons aquarium salt and a tsp of eggs and away you go.

I keep mine warm with an old lamp and a 60 watt bulb. They hatch out in about 18 hours at 82F.

The fish will only need the brine shrimp for about 3 weeks and then they are on to bigger food - so it is a short term thing. You can do it. And then their tummies will shine pinkyorange, too!

Those are healthy looking fry!!!! :D I cannot wait to see what you get when yours grow!

You are so funny, Daryl! :D I can so totally relate to the 'making it harder than it needed to be' thing. I can be so anal about things, I even drive myself bonkers at times. :P

I am so glad you responded with advice about how to hatch the brine shrimp. I read the instructions and it seemed a tiny bit more complicated than I thought it would be. It said to shine a light at the BOTTOM, so the shrimp would collect there and the shells would remain at the top. I'm then to skim the shells, collect the shrimp in a 'fine' net and rinse them (all I've got for that is coffee maker filters. Will that work?).

One last question do you use an airstone or just open-ended tubing? Airstones seem to put out a good bit of force in the current, so I'm questioning using them.

Lisa

3 weeks old today and doing pretty well. I lost a few more over the past week, most due to cannibalism, so I'm down to about 29 now. I'm switching them over to a diet of Hikari First Bites by replacing 2 BBS feedings a day and working my way to phasing out the BBS completely (except for treats). To tell you the truth, I think they are growing better on the Hikari. Or maybe it's just the age they are now they are growing more quickly?

Anyway, here they are:

Looks like I may end up with some blacks/black moors!

Fry_3wks_6.jpg

Now, this pic isn't that great, but if you look reeeeaaaaal close at the spot above this baby's eye, you'll see what appears to be a spot of blue. I am SO hoping for a blue and black, as Daddy Zoey is a blue and orange.

Fry_3wks_7.jpg

A small, blurry school of babies:

Fry_3wks_8.jpg

I do have some light-colored ones in the bunch. This is the best solo pic I could get.

Fry_3wks_10.jpg

This little guy has 'tude!

Fry_3wks_9.jpg

Lisa

I have 1 month old pics to share! They are loving the new 55g I put them in last week. It's a tetch more difficult to clean the bottom than it was with the 20g, but that's okay.

Fry_Month_1.jpg

Fry_Month_3.jpg

Fry_Month_4.jpg

This pic is a little blurry, but it helps to show size. The mesh that this fry is practially laying against, the 5 squares total exactly 1 inch:

Fry_Month_5.jpg

I caught this one just as he was getting ready to chow down on a teeny tiny piece of food:

Fry_Month_6.jpg

Hope you enjoyed and thanks for letting me share my babies!

Lisa

Wooooot! You 've got color! So envious! Your fry are doing really well and you have a nice mixed bunch by the looks. I had 3 fry hatch today- it is so exciting :D

Any chance of a pic of the parent fish?