Moss Balls - How To Disinfect?

mrbumblebee

Hi guys, I've ordered a Moss Ball (I think they're also called Marimo Balls) to try in one of my tanks. Does anyone know if they need to/can be disinfected the same way as other aquatic plants? I think I remember hearing something once about Mosses being killed off by disinfection? I usually use Sterazin (Parasiticide) solution for disinfecting plants which is quite mild, but I also have PP and Bleach. Which would be best for this plant or should I just rinse well and QT? Thankyou for any help :)

I would just rinse it and keep it in QT for a few weeks.I also heard that they are really sensitive. I'm surprised that they would make it through shipping.

Thankyou Sushi :)

It arrived this morning, looks lush green and healthy - strange little thing, but very nice colour. I've rinsed it and it's sitting in some dechlorinated water for now. I'll see how I go with it.

i had two in my tank- goldies destroyed one of them! when it was torn apart it did make my tank cloudy for a bit and bits got stuck to my uptake tube for the external filter, other than that i liked them, stayed very green, and the goldies liked to push the other one around.

Mr.B I had mine in quarantine for 3 weeks and I found a snail on the side of the QT so I was forced to do a PP dip for a few minutes. Granted it has a little brown but will wait and see. We just never know what is riding in on our plants. Hope all goes well I just think they are great.

Karen

Mr.B I had mine in quarantine for 3 weeks and I found a snail on the side of the QT so I was forced to do a PP dip for a few minutes. Granted it has a little brown but will wait and see. We just never know what is riding in on our plants. Hope all goes well I just think they are great.

Karen

Very helpful, thankyou Karen :)

:D I bought it on Ebay from a seller I've used before for plants. I'm a bit of a plant newbie so I'm at the Java Fern/Java Moss stage in most of my tanks now (which I love!) Yeah, I was pleased with the Moss Ball - a weird little thing but very sweet! A very lush green colour - I'm a bit sceptical as to whether I can keep it looking like that though :rolleyes: I remember another member saying hers went brown :( That's why I didn't want to disinfect it unnecessarily or too harshly. I'll watch and see! Edited by mrbumblebee