Best Place To Buy Driftwood?

Guest moTIGS

I want to get some real driftwood. There are a couple of rivers nearby where I could probably find some, but I'd have to go through all the trouble to actually find it, clean it, etc. I'd much rather just buy some.

I'm strongly considering buying some from http://www.aquariumdriftwood.com and may also buy some plants from there (unless anyone has a better place to buy plants online... nowhere locally has anything good). Anyone have any experience with their site or any other place to buy wood?

Thanks.

Guest ratherbe

Ive found that an excellent place to buy is Ebay. Rocksourceart is a good seller. The driftwood is cleaned and most of it sinks right away without having to weigh it down for months.

Just wondering... do goldfish benefit from having driftwood in a tank? Or do you want the driftwood because you like the way it looks in the tank?

Just wondering... do goldfish benefit from having driftwood in a tank?

I don't think gf get any benefit from having driftwood in the tank, except for the fact "the NATURE setting".

do you want the driftwood because you like the way it looks in the tank?

For me, Yes. I am thinking to remove it since I love to have more space for my fish.

I think a lot of people use the driftwood for their plecos - a place to hide and wood to chew on (aids in digestion). I like the look of it, and am hoping to grow some nice green algae on it for my fishies to graze on. :)

www.aquariumplants.com is really good for buying plants online - I think they even have driftwood, but I'm not sure on the prices. It can be really expensive if you don't shop around first. I got a large piece for 7 bucks online.

I'm curious, since RockArtSource has cleaned their driftwood, is it still necessary to boil it as is often recommended? I'd think it would be a good idea just in case, but I'm not sure how exactly to boil a 20"+ piece of wood.

Edit; typo

I'm curious, since RockArtSource has cleaned their driftwood, is it still necessary to boil it as is often recommended? I'd think it would be a good idea just in case, but I'm not sure how exactly to boil a 20"+ piece of wood.

Edit; typo

I have a large piece I ended up getting a plastic garbage pail, which I now use to store 50 pound bags of pickled salt in the basement. I soaked it in the garbage pail with boiling salted water for several days the salt water will also kill any beasties living in the wood. It was a pretty large piece and took quite some time. ( A few weeks) After the salt was done I then soaked it in a mild bleach solution, if you do a search on driftwood I'm sure you can find the exact solution percentage to use. I'm a bit paranoid so I soaked mine for about a week or two and rinsed/soaked it really well in water with dechlorinator and let it dry in the sun

The other alternative would be a bathtub or a large bucket and soaking one and and then the other. I've never used RockArtSource though I bought it from a person who was selling it in a garden center locally so it was sitting outside.

Ah, that's a fantastic disinfecting plan, thank you. ^^ The garbage pail would be easy to get by with. I was imagining finding a giant pan to go on the stove... :wacko:

Ah, that's a fantastic disinfecting plan, thank you. ^^ The garbage pail would be easy to get by with. I was imagining finding a giant pan to go on the stove... :wacko:

Thanks I also used heavy rocks to weight it down...Otherwise it just floats which drove me nuts! :) Make sure the pail is thick enough for boiling water (found that out the hard way) or just use very warm water. :)

i have three pieces in my tank at the moment and like the look of them. my hillstream loach also likes to graze on them. and at the moment one of them is just starting to get some green algea on, yummy food for goldies!!

I agree, You can find alot of great stuff on ebay. Thats where i got my piece. of driftwood. Just a tip when looking for pieces on ebay, type in aquarium driftwood. this way you dont get driftwood bird houses, ectin your search...

Thanks. For some reason I didn't even think to check ebay (my previous searches for aquarium stuff there haven't been great experiences). RockArtSource seems to have some good stuff at reasonable prices. My biggest thing is just finding a place I can get some that's already been cleaned. I don't want to have to go through the whole process of boiling it and all that. RAS has theirs professionally cleaned (professional driftwood cleaners???), so it should be ok to just put it in the tank right away. It does say it will lower tank ph and darken the water a bit, but my ph is too high anyway out of the tap, and the darkened water might look kind of cool.

Despite living in Florida, I rarely find driftwood on the beach, and the pieces I do find are too small to use. So these online sites are extremely useful :D

I've found pieces at mmm, but most of them were too big for my tanks, and I'm one of the lazy types that refuses to cut it to size :rofl

All you have to do is boil to driftwood from rockartsource. you dont have to do anything else. You should still have to boil the driftwood from RAS. You never know what kind of stuff can be on it.

Upon further review, rockartsource is actually not going to get my business. The driftwood pieces they have posted on ebay do look nice, but they are actually not very big (most around 8x3x5 or so). If I'm going to spend $20+ on driftwood, I can get five a little bigger than that for under $30 at aquariumdriftwood.com.

If someone guarantees the wood they sell has been cleaned and is safe, I'm going to take their word for it. I'm too lazy to boil it if I probably don't have to.

Archived