Red Lump With White String

nick11380

I just noticed that one of my 2 3/4 inch fry has a red lump on the base of its tail. On one side of the tail it a red lump on the other side the red lump has a short white string coming out of it. The white string is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch long. It's one lump that's pushing out on both sides of the base of the tail.

29 gallon tank. Tank has been running for 8 months.

Sponge filter

Water change 35%, 2 to 4 times a (day).

Seven 2 3/4 inch in fry in it.

Stress coat

No medications

No new fish

Chopped red (earth) worms and omega one kelp pellets.

Nothing unusual other than that red lump with the with the short white string.

No unusual behavior

Hi Nick, one of my older fry had something similar - it looked like a blood blister on the inside at the very base of the tail while the outside of the lump appeared whitish in colour. It didn't have the 'white string' hanging off it though ...... Do you have any tweezers? I would pull the white string off as close to the base as possible (without causing stress to your fish) and take a good look at it - then report back on what you see.

Basically I treated the lump as bacterial although I did have to dose with 2 rounds of meds before it disappeared but for your fish, I would first take a look at what the white thread is first.

Is there any way a parasite could've been added to your tank?

Do you have any test kits to check your water?

I don't know how any parasites could have been added to the tank. The siphon that I use for water changes is only used in that tank. The pails that the water is siphoned into is only used for that tank. The new water pail is used for all the tanks but it's never used for dirty water. Plus there are no signs of anything unuasal in any of my other tanks.

I don't have a test kit to check the water. But the water has to be good seeing that I'm doing 35% water changes 2 to 4 time a day.

I'll pull the white thing off with a tweezers this afternoon.

If you do not wish to pull it off or cannot get a hold of it, I would suggest touching that spot with a cue tip covered with potassium permanganate. IF you do not have the PP, hydrogen peroxide is a good alternative topical treatment.

If you do decide to remove the spot/string, I would still suggest touching the spot with PP or HP to disinfect the wound.

Archived