Very Sick Babies

smack536

I dont know if Im still welcome to post here, but I hope someone will be willing to help me.

About a month ago, I found myself in a wallmart in Ohio, and saw the most pitiful fish department I had ever seen. So, the next night, I got a tank prepared, and we drove back out to this wallmart and bought the 10 worst looking goldfish they had(that I thought had any chance of surviving even the ride back to pittsburgh). Im not gonna bother getting into the guy that worked there, but they rode home in a 5 gallon bucket I had brought iwth me in the back of the car, and moved into a spare 30 gallon tank.

now, here I am a month later, with only 4 of the original 10 still alive. 2 of them look great, are very active, and eating like piggies. they moved into another tank. the other 2, however, arent doing quite as well.

I have them now in a 20ish gallon tub, im changing their water usually every day or every other day, and using ammo-lock with every water change(no cycled filter for the tub)

They had ich, horrible fin-rot, mouth/body/eye fungus, bloody open sores on their bodies, and looong skinny white poo when I first got them, but have cleared up,a nd healed over now.

Anyways, they are both laying around on the bottom most of the time, and breathing really heavily. The oranda's gills turned black on the outside, but they are still nice and meaty looking on the inside. the lionhead;s gills are starting to get a small black blotch on the outside. they eat, but not with much enthuasiam.

The lionhead occasionally keeps his mouth really wide open ALL the time, and really stretches his gills out while hes gasping to breath. It looks like hes got something stuck in his mouth, but there never is when I have checked.

These two are on their 3rd treatment with maracyn 2, it seems to really make a difference, but a few days after the treatment is done, they seem to revert back to laying around gasping. Ive been keeping their tub salted to .3%, and they ate medigold for the first 3 weeks I had them(then I ran out).

the oranda seemed to have gotten dropsy a couple weeks ago, I thought he was a goner for sure, but after another round of maracyn 2, his scales went down, and he seemingly got better. the lionhead sometimes kinda looks kinked in the middle, and floats around looking dead, but then will suddenly start swimming again, and straighten out.

any advice on what to try next for these guys? Im starting to get really attached to these 2, and I really want to pull htem through.

help please?

It sounds as though the meds are treating a secondary infection especially if your guys decline once the meds have run their course so the question here would be, what's the primary cause?

I suspect there may be a parasite at play (yawning and gasping) which is a very real possibility considering where they came from so would consider running a couple of courses of Parasite Clear. This'll take care of a broad list of parasites and deals with those that aren't destroyed by salt.

Maybe worth a shot? :)

I'll second the suggestion of Parasite Clear. It is a very good all-round medication (it also contains an antibiotic, so it treats bacterial infections, as well).

I learn something new every day here, I had no idea about the antibiotic. Thanks!

Hi Hun,am finally off my work week,so I wanted to check in and see how things are going for these 2 sick little guys.I'm sorry that you couldn't help the others,but at least they passed away more happier at the fact that you were trying to make things right for them,so that should make you feel somewhat better anyway. :heart

Post soon on what's going on okay? :unsure:

Well, soon after I added the parasite clear tablets, the lionhead passed away. The oranda is looking much better, and even eating a little again. He is still very lethargic, and not too intent on eating, so I dont know what my next step should be. He looked like he was getting dropsy again, but his scales seem to have flattened back down. any other suggestions?

:( So sorry Christie.I'm sure the Lionhead passing was purely concidental.The little guy just had been through so much. :heart As for the Oranda,there's a good chance that he did pick up a secondary infection,and the meds you've used may just not be kicking it completely.

What are your params at?

Christie,are you able to get a look at his gills,and tell us what you see? Is he pooing normally?Did you happen so do any sort of salt treatment,when you first got them? :unsure:

The lionhead kept seeming to get better, then go back downhill, I really wanted him to pull through. We got really attached. :(

RIght now, Oranda is all alone in the 30 gallon. Params are staying perfect for 3 or 4 days, then I do a water change when I start seeing any ammonia at all.

He only eats occasionally, and spits stuff out alot. When I do see poo, its really skinny, but nowadays, its always the color of what he's eaten.

The outsides of his gills, that used to be nice and orange turned black. sometimes I think they're getting a little less black, but Im pretty sure Im seeing things. The inside, when he opens his gills, are nice and pink/red. Like raw meat color. He's breathing a little bit better, I think.

he has been in .3% salt since I got him.

any other suggestions? :unsure:

Archived