Heater Recommendation Sought

starla

Hello all,

Though my aquariums have been heaterless for almost 8 years, I think it may be time to get one. I just moved my fish into my new home with me, where my bf and I turn off the household heating while we're out or asleep to save energy/money, and the air temp can drop to about 60. My fishies were used to a constant house/water temp of 68-70F before, but now I am worried that they may have problems if the water temp drops too much... especially my chronically sick fishy.

I know nothing about heaters, and have been scared away from them by just hearing a few horror stories about boiled fish and electrocution.

Do you think I should get a heater? What should I know about them before getting one? How reliable are they? What brands/models do you recommend? I have a 50gal tank with two comets, if that helps.

I just want to try to do what's best for my babies :heart -- and I am willing to spend extra to get the safest, most reliable heater I can.

If you have a fish that is sickly, I think it would be a good idea to get a heater. Heaters have gotten more and more safe as technology has advanced, so I believe there is less worry about over heating with a good brand.

Probably the best heater I've enountered is the Marineland Visi-Therm Stealth. They are very reliable, and not especially expensive, either. :)

I'm not sure if you know this, but if you do visit Pet-Smart, you can print out that online ad with the wattage you want selected, and get the heater for the online price instead of the in store one (which is often much, much higher).

:) I just got the ALL-GLASS-AQUARIUM brand heater and I love it. It's gauranteed shatter-proof and it has a safety on it for when you forget to unplug during a water change that automatically shuts it off.

I don't remember how much it was though, I found it in the department store of a military base.

I also have an all-glass brand heater, and I hate it. It's a 100W, but still even on its lowest setting in my 29 gal, the temp wouldn't go below 76. Without the heater, it's almost 10 degrees colder. I guess there's something wrong with the thermostat.

Thanks, guys! I'll stop at vvvv tomorrow after work and have a look. Maybe I can find a new decoration for them as well, since they seem pretty bored in the nearly-empty tank. :)

What temperature setting do you have in your aquariums?

Yeah, I took it out of the tank. I'm hoping to replace it as soon as I get over the guilt of spending even more money on the tank.

Depending on how long ago you purchased it, you might still have it on warranty. Was it the kind that's has the calibrated knob on it? Mine has the temperatures all marked off and does well at its lowest setting (68F), but I set it at 70F.

It was part of a new tank kit, and the kit was cheaper than it would have been for me to get just a tank and a stand separately. So, returning it isn't really an option. The knob is calibrated, but I suspected trouble when I had to have it in the low-mid 70's to maintain 80 degrees for the fishless cycle.

It was part of a new tank kit, and the kit was cheaper than it would have been for me to get just a tank and a stand separately. So, returning it isn't really an option. The knob is calibrated, but I suspected trouble when I had to have it in the low-mid 70's to maintain 80 degrees for the fishless cycle.

I think you should contact the company, they might be able to do something for you. Maybe even hook you up with a brand new thermometer. :)

Archived