Question About Api Gh And Kh Test

sunnygirl

Ok, whe I tested the water, the KH took 4 drops, which would be 4 dKH or 71.6 ppm KH, and the GH never turned orange (suppossed to go from orange to yellow), so I assume I read it as 1 drop or 17.9 GH. When I look at the range chart (for what fish go best in what water), it says GH and KH range (no seperate numbers). How do I compare? Do I combine the GH and KH frops used to do test? It makes no sense to me. this is the first time I have used this test and obviously I don't have a scientific mind!! I thought the API (aquarium pharmac.) test would be as easy as their master kit!! Wrong!!

I have this test kit.

the 0-3 is the measurement in degrees.. the numbers in parentheses are the parts per million or ppm.

0-3 degrees corresponds to (0-50) ppm.

I am confused though.. my instructions state that the gh test should go from orange to green. I think you should do the test again just to be sure.

i'm sorry, I misunderstood your question a bit.. I think they are just trying to tell you that the 0-3 degrees is the ideal range for either gh or kh or both, it is not a calculation of both. gh and kh do not have to be equal-but both should fall within that range for that particular fish.

So is it a problem if they don't fall in the same range? I am not keen to fool around with the levels (I think trying to adjust the pH led to my last goldfish dying). Which range do I pay attention to and choose fish for?

The instructions say that for KH, should go from blue to yellow, and GH should go from orange to green. The water turned yellow after 4 drops, including forst drop, and the second tube turned green with the first drop.

I have a fishless tank right now (keeping the good bacteria fed), and am trying to decide which fish would be best suited for my water. It has been running for over a year, but I never tested the GH and KH levels until now. Could be partially to blame for my goldies getting sick over the past year and dying. I want to be a good fish keeper, even if it's not the exact fish I want. I am also trying to figure this all out before I buy a bigger tank and new goldies. I was considering getting guppies for this tank while I save up $, but they fall within the same range as goldies, and it is higher than I have (6-11 degrees or 100-200 ppm). I am so confused as what to do!!

Weird story about that. When I first tested it, I used the low ph test, because it has been 6.6-6.8 for the 8 months or so (even a few weeks back). It was so dark blue, it didn't match up to the colour chart (goes to what 7.8 I think). So I re-did the test with the high range test, and it was about 7.4. I assumed that I hadn't rinsed out the vile properly after using it last time, so I rinsed out really well and re-did it with the high range test, andit was 7.4. I am expecting that it will drop in a few months again.

When I first set up the tank, the tap water was 7.4-7.8 (for a couple of months) and then dropped down to 6.6-6.8. Not sure how long this took, as I was terrible and had stopped testingthe pH thinking it would be the same all the time. Lesson learned! The water out of the tap is the same (after letting it sit) as the tank.

Thanks for trying to help me figure this out. I keep promising to take my kids to get new fish, and then discover something else to checkout. I want to make sure I have it all figured out first.

you seem to have soft water, the gh is low. The kh is o.k. but not great it is also on the low side. There are those in here who use crushed coral in their filters to raise the ph and give their water more hardness and carbonates. If your water fluctuates that much you are going to have to keep right on top of it to keep it stable for the fish.

there are also commercial products that will help. Gold buffer, buff it up etc..

It is important to remember that even though your tank ph may start out at 7.4 or 7.8 it will not stay that way indefinitely. The nitrogen cycle will remove carbonates (the buffer) from the water,and when they are depleted, your ph will fall. That can happen very fast and kill your fish. You have to replace the carbonates either with water changes or chemicals. You will have to monitor your ph, kh levels with frequent testing.

Shopping list: crushed coral (when ever I can find it since no one around here carries it very often and I

have had issues when I have tried bufffers in the past)

heater

fish

check!!

Thanks again for trying to help me figure this out.

I have never tried crushed coral so you may want to ask around about what to expect from it, and remember to check often. the older the water in your tank gets without a water change, the more prone it is to these problems. You will be more vulnerable during cycling.

Archived