Ryukin With A Comet?

ciscokidd

i will probably be purchasing a 55 gallon horse trough for my 2 comets. They need 20 gallon each so they take up 40 gallons, leaving 15 extra gallons, is it safe to mix comets with ryukins?, or would they be too aggressive with each other?

Also i should add, when i first started with goldfish i added a fantail with my comets. They were fine together. Although my fantail got sick, started slowing down. They then started to nip a bit, but nothing too harsh.

It is almost always not the best choice to keep fancy goldfish with single tailed goldfish, especially when the commets get large, your fancy would have a hard time competing for food.

I would also make the case that having an extra 15 gallons would probably make your fish happier if they didn't have to share it. It'll keep the nitrates lower, and you won't have to do as large of water changes every week.

I have three relatively small fancies in a 40, and the nitrates get pretty darn high every time it is time to change the water, resulting in 50% water changes every week.

it is true that when competing of food would just make the ryukin lose out, unless you are sure you can do something about that like spreading the food around, it would be too good to put them together. But at the same time if you look at the tank you may feel it is a little too empty, instead of adding another fish you might want to consider some nice and safe decor for you and your fishes entertainment

Archived