Thunder Fright

Blue

Did a water change on my female Blue Thunders tank last night.She frightened me to bits I thought she had died as she showed stress bars then just sat on bottom motionless.I put my hand in near her she never moved.I thought I had killed her.Then a couple of minutes later she got up and started moving stress bars vanished around 5mins later and she started swimming and came up to top for food.

Is this behaviour normal as I don't fancy scares like this each time I do a water change.She has always been easy stressed.

Poor little girl! :o Don't think that's normal as mine have never done that. However, my Hammy male Betta scared me last time I changed his water 'cause he swam with one of his pectoral fins clamped down like I injured him or something. He was not as active as usual for a little while but then he started using both fins again and acts like his old self now. I'm sure it is stressful for them to be changed but it would be more stressful if we didn't! They can be so delicate, though. Hope she's not sick. :(:ill

Hi Blue! How long have you had Thunder? Has she always been scared/spooked easily? I know when I had my boys in gallon bowls, and had to remove them entirely to clean their bowls, their colors would fade a bit due to stress. But now that I have them in tanks, they do just fine when I do the water changes. Matter of fact, they bite at my hand as I gravel vac! The only other time one of my boys has gotten spooked, was when my mom came over one time. She walked over to the tanks and startled Kip; he started darting around the tank and freaking out.

True, they are very sensitive fish. They do not like being bothered too much in their bowls/tanks. Keep us posted on her progress. I hope she is fine! :)

I'm sorry blue :( My little blue/green girl used to freak during water changes, but now she hardly gets stripes at all.

Are your sure you are being gentle during the change? Does the pH and temperature match perfectly?

Shes all back to her normal self jumping for food out my hand and shooting to glass to see me.I suspect the water temp was slightly out compared with my normal water change.

You wouldn't think there had been anything wrong with her now.I have never had anything like that with my male.

Blue did the new water temp match the old water temp like Kissy mentioned? I found if the new water is a little cooler than the old water it stresses them out a bit. I took Kissy's excellent suggestion and nuke some of the new water in the microwave . Just make sure to use a thermometer to make sure the microwaved water is the same as teh old tank water.

that might be what freaked her out then. I notice that when the new water is slightly cooler it shocks them a little. They do not like fluctuating water temps. I solved this by microwaving some of the changing water ( actually it was a tip Kissy gave me and it works great) just make sure to take the temp of the new microwaved water before adding it to the tank and compare it to the old water temp.

From now on am going to mix her water and stick a thermometer in dont fancy using micro since it continues to cook after its finished dont want to fry my baby girl.

Actually the microwave idea of Kissy's is o.k. I actually put them in small tall deli cups with lids in some the tank water while I am chaning the water. that way they are safe and out of the way. Then after I add the water I let sit in the tank for a little bit to make sure it is about the same temp and then if it is in they go.

This is what I do:

1) Prepare bucket of clean water

2) Unplug aquarium heater

3) Microwave 1 large cup of bucket water at a time, and dump it back into the bucket, stirring inbetween each cup.

4) Match temperatures

5) Unplug filter and remove water

6) Double check to make sure the new warm water still matches

7) Add Prime

8) Slowly pour new water in

9) Turn heater and filter back on

It takes about 5-10 minutes from the time I'm done microwaving til I need to add the water in, so that gives the water plenty of time to stop heating a little. In the summer I do the same thing, but I add cups of crushed ice to the clean water bucket instead of microwaved water :D It's pretty safe, so give it a try :)

Blue, do you have thunder in a filtered or non filtered tank? If she's in at least 2 gallons and its unfiltered, maybe cycling a gentle filter for her would make waterchanges less stressful for her since they will be smaller.

yup thanks Kissy. Evey since you told me of this idea I have been using it. I have to use bottled spring water because of the rust in my tap water. So I nuke a gallon bottle for 4 minutes and then set it out . Then I nuke another , and keep going till I have enough to change the water. In the mean time after the water comes out of the microwave it has sat on my bed or in the chair ( both tanks are on night stands) for about 10 minutes. The bettas are in the tall deli containers in old tank water while I do this and not in the tank. After I empty the tank of the old water, rinse my marble substrate, and wipe down the inside of the tank with a paper towel, rinse the filter cartridge in old waste water. Then I put everything back in it's place and pour the new water, salt and put my indian almond leaf in. I watch my thermometer on the side of the tank to make sure the temp is correct. I go empty my old waste water and when I come back if the tank is the same temp it was when I left it then the fish go back in.

Archived