Red Lumps On Tail

Guest friz

Hi everyone!

One of my two 4 year old comets has some small red lumps on his tail.

The only way I can describe them is they are similar to if a person had some bad acne/spots or a boil. With a few of them clustered together (combination of white ###### looking clumps with some red).

There is also a single red vein that leads to them.

I have an 80 litre tank (20 gallons?) with two comets.

All the water levels etc are normal, both fish seem perfectly healthy and active (eating as normal) and there are no obvious behavioural changes. He doesnt seem to be bothered by it at all (no flashing, itching etc, yawning etc)

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

I would do a 50% water change and add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon. Use aquarium, pickling, kosher, coarse or sea salt (a salt without additives) and dissolve in tank water before adding. This will help with healing.

How often and how much water do you change and what size filter do you have? Two comets will outgrow a 20 gallon in time. How big are your fish? Tell me a little about your tank and your routine to care for it.

Welcome to Koko's!

Many thanks Touchofsky.

How often and how much water do you change

I do a weekly water change of approx 1/4 to 1/3 and add stress zyme once a week.

and what size filter do you have?

Not sure what specs you need to describe the filter but I have a Juwel Rekor 80

http://www.edkins.com/juwel-aquariums/about%20juwel.htm

which seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the water clean.

Two comets will outgrow a 20 gallon in time. How big are your fish? Tell me a little about your tank and your routine to care for it.

They are appox 4-5 inches.

They get fed twice a day (small amounts, combination of soaked flake food and several times a week, peas, veg and bloodworm etc).

They have never had and health probs until now and the tank water has always been clean for amonia, ph etc.

Will give the aquarium salt a try in next few days!

Thanks in advance :)

If it were me, I would do a 50% water change asap, add 1 tsp. of salt per gallon. Then wait, and do another 50% water change in a few days. Re-add the salt that you have removed (10 tsps.). Then I would see if things improve.

When you do your first water change, rinse out your filter sponges in a tank of water. Then rinse them weekly.

The problem really sounds like an early bacterial problem. Usually if you get these things soon enough, just improving the water quality with some big water changes, and the salt is enough to turn things around. I would do this, and see if you see an improvement in a week or so.

Also, with two 4" commons in a 20 gallon, I would up the water changes to about 40-50% per week. As your fish grow, they will excrete more waste, and I think you would find them healthier with larger water changes. If it is easier, you could do two water changes weekly, of 20 - 25%.

Also, it may be just me, but I stay away from frozen bloodworms. I have had bacterial problems any time I feed them. I don't know if you are using freeze dried or frozen, but it is just something that I noticed in your list of foods.

I would try the increased water changes and salt, before using any medication in the tank. Medications can often disrupt the cycle of the tank, and that can cause more serious problems.

Please keep me posted on your progress.

Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble for such a lengthy reply. I'll get some Aquarium salt and try that as soon as poss, as well as the water change etc as well as maybe avoiding the bloodworms for a little while just in case (I use the dried ones and also the ones in jelly that come in a sachet, not the frozen ones).

Thanks again Touchofsky..you are a star!

Hi again, sorry for delay in replying!

Fish still seems fine health-wise and not showing any other symptoms (which is good news I guess). Have done the salt treatment. Not a huge change yet, but the lumps certainly aren't getting any worse, and there might be a slight improvement.

:)

Archived