I Didn't Want To Get A Ryukin

Zelanie

I went to the store looking for a pearscale, or maybe an oranda, but, something changed my mind:

ryu3.jpg

ryu2.jpg

ryu1.jpg

I wasn't happy with the fish selection here in town, so I went to check out a LFS about an hour away. I had wanted to get something with a nice wen, but this guy (gal?) just stole the show. I wasn't going to leave the store without him, so the only question was whether I was going to leave the store with 2 fish, and be overstocked a tad, or just with him. It took a lot of willpower, but I managed to say no to the others, nice wens and all.

I've heard about the "ryukin reputation", so I was a bit nervous. He was in a tank with several other orandas and ryukins, and seemed OK in there as I was watching, so I figured I'd give it a shot. He does seem like a bit of a bully so far, but both fish were able to eat at feeding time, and there was no actual rough contact, so hopefully it will work out.

Any ideas for a name? He has more spangles than you can see in the shot.

:) He is very preatty, even though I had to laugh at the first pic, as he looks kind of ticked off about something. Kind of a mean look, which I'm sure hes not.

Congrats on your :newfish ! Hes beautiful!

You're right, the first photo does make him look like he's got a big, angry eyebrow. On the other side, you can't really tell in the pic, but he look like he has a little narrow mustache.

I hope he's not mean, anyways. He seemed fine at the LFS, though he did out-wiggle the others to get our attention. I've seen improvement in how my two are getting along already, and it's only been a few hours. Hopefully that continues.

I am stuck for a name. Most of our animals have been named out of mythology or literature. Our cats are Circe (currently MIA) and Scylla, from the Odyssey. Our dog is Jude. The other fish in the tank is Sunny, named for her color and for Sunny Baudelaire. So for this one, we've considered Quigley Quagmire and Captain Widdershins. We could also go with something simple like Beatrice. Of course, those will only make sense if you have read a Series of Unfortunate Events.

We could go back to the mythological names, but I'm drawing a blank. I also wouldn't mind a name from a Louis Sacar or Roald Dahl book. Yes, I know that I read too many kids books, but then again that will give me a name that my daughter and I can both enjoy.

I'd also be fine with a name that just plain fits the fish. I think I think about this too much, and that makes it hard. :idont

He's lovely! :D I hope he keeps a lot of the black. He has a nice shape too.

If he's only with one other fish I am sure he won't be too overpowering. Abit of spirit is often the sign of a healthy fish :)

Congratulations :D

He is a fish that got a bad repuatation. A bit of a cad. I thought "Rhett Butler" when I first saw him. He has a sort of Clark Gable face.

I love his tail! My Taffy would follow him anywhere. :D

I've read all of the Unfortunate Events - and i think you should go with the theme. In reading all the comments about your gorgeous new fish, i think that you should go with Esme, if you lean towards the glamorous eyelashes judgement, or Olaf if you lean towards the one eyebrow look! Best of luck with your new friend!

I think she is going to be called Esme (thanks for the idea!).

The eyebrow might not stay as the fish changes, but with those fins and spangles, we know she is always going to be "in". :exactly

DH says "you know, these guys are worse beggars than the dog." :rofl

Archived