Salt Questions

love-rabbit-fish

:unsure: this is my first time salting a tank so bare with me guys,

okay, right now, my buffalo have little 'hook' like marks on his tail, i think it is ich.

im think im going to salt my tank, but i have some questions:

-i have plants in that tank, should i remove them?

-only one fish have it, but im begining to see some sign of my other fish getting it, should i remove him to quarantine or just salt the whole tank?

-i have kosher salt with nothing in it but salt, can i use that.

-and lastly, what % should i salt it to?

thank you

Ok, the salt will kill the live plants. So you will have to remove them. I would recommend treating all the fish or they will reinfect the others and you'll have another outbreak.

To treat ich with salt, I use aquarium salt. But others have used picking salts with no caking agent or any other additive to it.

The dose is 1 tsp per gallon of water to = 0.1%. You will need to build up to 0.3% and maintain that 7 days past seeing any ich on the fish.

How you get to 0.3% salt is by adding 1tsp per gallon every 12 hours for a total of 3 times, obviously 12 hours apart. This gives the fish time to get use to the salt without shocking them.

You will also need to raise the temp of the tank to 80F, do this slowly only 2 degrees an hour. This helps to speed up the life cycle of the ich, so it will look worse before it gets better. But speeding up the cycle helps to quickly get rid of them.

Also keep all lights off during treatment, ich need light to live, so the darker the tank the better.

It is also recommended to vacuum the gravel daily and replace the water and salt you remove. This ensures getting the cysts in the gravel.

Good luck with your treatment and let us know how things are going.

Yes you feed normally thru the process. And it doesn't have to be 2 hours apart, just no less than that.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions. Good luck with the treatment.

Archived